Free Firewall (EVORIM)

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ichito, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

I have installed it on a secondary W10 x64 machine, some older Windows build.Version 2.5.7 of the firewall was installed.

First of all, if you install it, you have to keep in mind it s a FREE firewall.

By default the firewall will not register itself atutomatically, to run at start-up, during installation or after.
    To enable that you need to enter the interface and check the little box "Start with windows", in the settings, for this to happen.
    Older builds ,if i remember correctly, were the same.A pop-up dialog for this choice would have been usefull i think.

There is a default firewall policy preset for NEWLY installed programs.Default is "Ask for permission".You can also choose "Block All" or "Allow All".Nice feature.
    Keep in mind that by default windows system exe-s have the "Allow All" policy enabled though.Explorer, Search, Cortana and such are enabled by default to pass thru.

The firewall configuration can be protected with a password.Another nice feature, a plus.

When you start a program, you will be asked for internet connections, if Ask is your policy of choice.There are 2 types of interaction pop-ups: generic or granular.You either choose to "Allow" or "Prohibit" for each port or ip pop-up-ed, either you can choose the general " Allow All" or " Block All" choices for the App (the smarter way).The granularity in the pop-ups will not translate into granular rules, in the per App settings though.In the per App settings the only things you can define are port numbers and IP-s.This would be usefull to ban/allow,specify exceptions for some IP-s/ports per App.In the menues there is no Direction(inbound,outbound) or protocol to be set (even though the pop-up dialogs will spam you with direction and protocol information).

The log is nice and detailed.

There is a Block All rule called " Blockade" and a "Gaming Mode".I ve cheked the "Blockade".While in the desktop the feature works, it blocks.At computer restart though, the llmnr traffic, if enabled in Windows, passes thru :)

It"s a basic, free firewall.It has no real granularity in rules editing.I see no way to specify direction of the connections or protocols, even though the pop-ups are quite detailed in information.You can specify IP-s and port number though, if of any use to block/allow some specific IP-s, for an app.

It has some usability.

If it was designed with simplicity in mind, the granular pop-ups should of been removed.I see no reason for that pop-up spam, if they do not transalte into rules in the per App settings (like you could see in Jetico or Outpost for example).

The design aproach is Allow/Block the App, with IP exceptions.There are 2 Block Telemetry options in the menues.I do not know if they work though.

Feel free to install it.

2. moredhelfinland

moredhelfinland Registered Member

I'm using Symantec Endpoint Protection Firewall and IDS components only. I think it uses its own firewall driver, rather than windows own firewall.
    What i've heard, some malwares can disable/abuse/modify windows own firewall rules (because malware assumes, that the victim uses a windows firewall), during early boot stage or within a windows, for example using wmic command.
    Symantec Endpoint Protection Firewall, as a unmanaged client, does not care if "legit" windows component wants to connect to internet. Every connection made will be asked. For sure, that causes so called "clickfest".
    Tho, you need to enable this "ask" mode in the settings. After clickfest, go to application rules and restrict, for example, svchost, or chrome to connect probin your lan.
    Sure, it need some work, but when it's "tamed", then you're master of your PC :D
    It does also have great IDS(network and browser intrusion protection).
    Here is my firewall settings:
    https://imgur.com/a/W5LlMJi

3. bellgamin

bellgamin Very Frequent Poster

Evorim is a powerful FW for those who are both: (a) high-risk web surfers, AND (b) skilled enough to make effective use of its configurable settings.

I presently use Sphinx FW Pro because it has a LOT of well-structured, pre-configured zones. That makes it quite effective for those who (like me) are too lazy to develop their own zones.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  4. noel1947

noel1947 Registered Member

I am testing Free Firewall and have a few problems using it.
    I use Microsoft Edge, Chrome and Vivaldi browsers.
    1. Problem is that if I use search function (Google is default search engine ) on all browsers
    I get the following : This site can’t be reached

Would appreciate some advice/assistance to rectify the problem.

noel1947

5. pb1

pb1 Registered Member

I had used it for some months without that problem, but since a couple of weeks ago it appeared. Then i unticked the box for "Block Web-Tracking services" in Tools and it dissapered.

So, since then i am waiting for an update for the program to solve it.

6. noel1947

noel1947 Registered Member

Thanks pb1 for your assistance. Appreciated.

noel1947

7. bORN2BWILD

bORN2BWILD Registered Member

I had some time today to re-test (after 2 years) this firewall, with Windows 10/64 pro.

My findings:

1. Some text during installation is (still) in German !!

2. The firewall didn't start after Installation !!!!!!!!

3. The firewall didn't auto-start with Windows after reboot, with the auto-start option checked !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. I had to uncheck and re-check the auto-start and now it starts.

5. Seems ΝΟΤ to block what it should block for outgoing traffic

6. Seems faster than older versions

7. Informative

8. Needs some knowledge to understand what to block and what not, concerning the Windows services. Programs are easy to understand.

all in all, not good !

I'm very worried about the auto-start issues. I think it is very important to be 1000% sure it starts no matter what. Maybe some other way to do it? Some auto-start service. Maybe totally remove the auto-start option and make auto-start enabled at all times. Also what happens BEFORE the firewall starts during boot? Programs that start BEFORE the firewall can access the internet?

Also the blocking doesn't work right. See the capture.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 20, 2021
  8. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Why even bother with this tool? From what I have read it has always been buggy as hell.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.