Free CA Antivirus vs Free AOL AVS

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by duke1959, Sep 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Just wondering if the new free version of CA Antivirus would be a better choice than AVS for 1 year. I like and use AVS and can't see changing, but the thread on the new version of EZ Trust Antivirus has me a little curious about it. Also I can't find any screen shots showing the changes made to the GUI it mentions about on the CA website. I tried the old 12 month free version of EZ Trust a long time ago, but switched to AVG Free at the time because I didn't like it's GUI. Of course I'm well aware of Kaspersky's detection rates, which is the AVS engine, but I've read that CA Antivirus also now has heuristics that AVS currently doesn't. So, which one would be a better choice to use, outside of switching back to Antivir PE. LOL. That was for all the threads I've posted in about Antivir lately.

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have a licensed version 8 of ca av. and have tried Avs. and in my experience the AVS will give you better protection while useing about the same amount of resources. But you might trial Ca and see if you like it. It seems to be alright but it just isn't for me.

3. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

I've tried CA Anti-Virus for a couple minutes, it's a nice product with a pretty interface and extremely low recource usage. The detection rates are 'ok' for normal low-risk users.

Just try it out and see if you like it, I'll post a screenshot within a couple minutes.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2006
  4. duke1959

Thanks guys. I appreciate both of your input, and the screenshot Sputnik. I am currently using Comodo Firewall with AVS, and while AVS has spyware protection I don't think it's as good as a dedicated AntiSpyware program would be. That's why I was just toying with the idea of using a different free AV and one of the free Antispyware programs like Spyware Terminator together with CPF instead. Does anyone know if you can do a Custom Install with CA like you can with Avast and AVG Free? I don't use E-mail Protection and have left it out when installing those AV's before, but I couldn't with AVS. Thanks again so far for your responses.

5. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

@duke1959
    A better (free) combination would be:
    • avast! Home
    • Windows Defender
    • Comodo Personal Firewall

6. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I would take AOL AVS.

I'd pass on Windows Defender.
    There are better free options.

7. duke1959

Hey, these last two posts gives me an idea for another verses thread. LOL. Seriously though why not?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.