Free Avira Antivir PE Classic or paid version of Avast?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by quadrophonic, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

If Avira Classic runs well on your computer, I would use it. I belong to the school that says why pay when free will do as well or better?
    I do not know how long you have used Avira, but it is plagued with minor, nagging problems. You can check their forum for further info on that,

So the two questions I would ask are;
    1. Does Avira Classic have all the features you want?
    2. Does it run well on your system?

If "Yes" go for it. It has great detection rates.

Best,
    Jerry

2. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

IMHO Avira Antivir PE Classic + BOClean = a very well patroled computer for protection against the bad, mean, nasty stuff that will cause much problems to come to your machine. I feel very safe from such evil doings. :)

3. quadrophonic

quadrophonic Registered Member

Thanks for replying. In answer to your questions:

1) Classic doesn't have an e-mail scanner, nor the spyware/malware promises of Avast and that's what would lead me to purchase it - unless I can be assured that a combo of Avast as the primary AV program, with Avira Classic running on demand when I close the Avast services would be just as good.
    I also have Teatimer, a large HOSTS file from MVPS.org, Spyware Blaster, and a host of free on demand anti-spyware programs for extra checks. I may also add IE-Spyad. Add Zone Alarm's quarantine configuration and it just might be enough, although when I read some other threads here, it seems like some have 2 gig ram and devote 500 mg to running resident security programs!

Did you check my last post on this thread regarding Avira's forum claims that the Classic guard might be enough with Thunderbird's e-mail package?

2) Avira Classic runs great (except for the avnotify situation. I tried to use the method that blocks avnotify.exe but it didn't work).

I don't know why, but I have a feeling that Google may at some point buy the best AV program and anti-spyware program out there, and since they have a huge share of the search engine business, just issue them for free as a goodwill gesture. :-* That could be wishful thinking, though.:doubt:

4. vhick

vhick Registered Member

is avira free version can update through their website? i mean you can download update files through their website? i know in avast website, you can download update files.

5. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

A few questions if I may ask?Why is a free a/v compared to a paid a/v?What is the big deal about email scans.Avira is a great a/v and it's free.As far as email I have not scanned one in years with zero problems.Just use Mailwasher which is also free and works great.Read any email off you ISP server first and if you like then download it.If I do not know you I bounce the email back and it shows my address as not valid.Then I can blacklist you also if I want.Link, http://www.mailwasher.net/

6. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I ran the paid for version of Avast for several years but a few months ago I switched to the Free Avira PE. My mail company checks e-mails for virus/spam etc so I have no need of mail checking. So far I have had no problems with Avira
    and don't see any reason to go back to Avast. It may be relevant that I sit behind a hardware firewall, don't open mail from people I don't know and only go in for "safe" surfing. My guess is that Avira is more than enough for my needs.

7. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

pugmug,

i dont like aviras way of buisiness,

you have a free version, not slagging off avira in this post, use it if you like it.

but,

then they add adware/spyware detection and call it premium,

then they add firewall and call it a suite,

add all together and it still lacks features in 'most' suites.

these little 'add-ons' just aint worth the money, so id say stick to free :)

8. waters

waters Registered Member

Free ones do this .Avg does the same.Good for them providing free versions

9. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

CSJ,I love the way Avira does business. They give me one of the better a/v for free. Can't get much better than that.lol

10. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

thats not good buisiness, its free.

11. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I don't mind the aVira ads (if you have the free version) when updating but I thought the TOILET ad I got early this AM when updating was a bit much!:eek:

12. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

It's a great way to do business for me. I do not like all in one be everything,do everything security programs. If I can crack any part then chances are I can crack it all. I just want a program that does it's one thing very well and this a/v does that.You can build a great security set using nothing but free programs if you know what to look for and how to use it.

13. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I will have to watch out for that one when I boot up the PC tonight. ;)

14. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I don't mind them either but that one was just stupid. :rolleyes: I agree. Rather beneath their other "quality" or creative ads.

15. quadrophonic

Unless I'm mistaken, you have to buy Mailwasher Pro if your e-mail client is set up for several e-mail addresses.

As far as free AV programs go, I think the reason they're given away free is because:

1) They want the program on as many computers as possible as a way of introducing the consumer to it, and it means they're not using a competitor's software.

2) It can only improve their heuristics and updates if users e-mail or send back quarantined viruses/malware, etc.

3) I have a feeling that when the autoupdates are done, information may be collected from the reports or quarantined area. Please correct me if this isn't the case.

4) The more users, the easier it is to sell the company in the future.

In the past Google has hinted about giving away free cellphone service if users were willing to have ads broadcast on their phone. Would anyone mind if Google bought a topnotch AV/anti-malware program, issued it for free if they could send ads with the updates - the way Avira does with its update notifications? As long as Google ensured that these ads weren't being installed, I doubt anyone would balk if they were getting $50 worth of great security software every year for free.

16. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

UGH. I got that TOILET one again just now. It's tasteless. They should can that one immediately. Yuck.

17. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

Whens the last time someone tasted a toilet? :D o_O

18. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Well, my handyman used to say "When's the last time you hugged your toilet"? :D

19. theflamingbush

theflamingbush Registered Member

get rid of avast and get a better guard!

avira classic is free and the guard is second to none. it doesnt have an active email scan, but you can download AVG, and custom download so that you do not download the guard module with it, thus having active email scanning, but also having a superior active guard in place. Its not too heavy on the ram, and will give you complete protection antivir wise.

A solid firewall, with Hips (SSM?), and Sandboxied browsing will complete a FREE multi-layered security approach. On demand scanning with the secondary avg scanner is fine too and wont create any conflicts that i have noticed. The AVG antispyware 7.5 is a perfect addition as well, and although not active for the free edition is worth downloading and scanning on demand regularly. Then a free rootkit scanner, like the blacklight from F-secure should see you a happy chappy

hope that helped.

20. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I use Avira and have no need for an active email scan - my mail is picked up from various addresses - virus checked - spam removed and then sent on to me by www.netaddress.com. To my knowledge anything bad has always been removed.

21. yxj1799

yxj1799 Registered Member

I think antivir is more suit me
    it is very small and simple
    hello everyone
    i am a newer here
    i am from china.....
    the hypost forum is as good as here .

22. quadrophonic

That's what I keep hearing, but if you check one of my posts in this thread:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=930140&postcount=22

I checked it by watching Avira's scanner when I opened mail from several accounts. Sure enough, when I looked at the last file scanned by Avira, it was the database of each mail account I opened.

I still feel however, that using a firewall that quarantines attachments (like Zone Alarm) is a better option.

Why don't you think Avast's e-mail scanner isn't as good as AVG's?

23. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

After reading a few topics and posts I have one questions:

Avira Free has worse mallware detection than Premium, right?

I mean, that according to AV Comparatives Avira is the best AV, but they tested premium.
    So Avira Free with different signatures excluding spyware has about 85-90% real detection?

24. IBK

IBK AV Expert

av-comparatives main test-set does not contain spyware, jokes, etc., so the detection rate remains.

25. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

[​IMG] Oh, well thanks for the info. Hmm, now I have to reevalute some of my opinions. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.