Free antiviruses

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by chaos16, Sep 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

I would like to download some free on demand antviruses that wont conflict with the antivrus i got now that kaspersky.

so i want free antiviruses and i got kaspersky antivirus ATM.

can someone give me links to free antiviruses that i can use with kaspersky antivirus?

btw i have bitdefender free on demand.

is it safe to have other antiviruses with no realtime protection its like having loads of antispyware right?

2. Ned Slider

Ned Slider Registered Member

IMHO you probably already have the best free on demand scanner for use as a backup to KAV, and that's BitDefender.

Ned

3. hbkh

hbkh Registered Member

agreed, bitdefender is by far the best free one. :)

4. abhi_mittal

abhi_mittal Registered Member

Bitdefender Free
    Antivir PE
    Dr.Web Cureit
    Escan
    F-prot for DOS

All free and safe to use with ur existing AV. Just remember to turn off the real time guard in Antivir PE.

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Install as many free AV scanners you like, but only one AV can be active, because of possible conflicts.
    The more AV scanners you have, the better.
    Even the AV loser in a test, can find a malware, that wasn't detect by the AV winner.

The same remark for AS, AT, AK, ... scanners, because these scanners don't have the same maturity as AV scanners.
    2 x AV, 3 x AS, 3 x AT, 3 x AK is normal. So don't be shy on security and don't forget the other security softwares :)

6. shek

shek Registered Member

another free on-demand scanner is mcafee command line scanner with gui from bart's pe.

7. chaos16

can i have links pls.

can i have a link of the free mcafee antivirus as well pls.

is that free mcafee official from mcafee?

8. Ned Slider

No, it's not free. Read the licence agreement ;)

9. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have used a couple of free scanners, CureIt, McAfee Stinger, and a couple of others including escan Mwav.
    I have the impression from some posts that I should disable my resident AV, BD 9, when I scan with the others. However, so far I have not experienced any conflict. Am I just fortunate?

Thanks,
    Jerry

10. shek

shek Registered Member

where is the license agreement? on http://vil.nai.com/vil/virus-4d.asp, it says SCAN.EXE requires LICENSE.DAT and MESSAGES.DAT. But inside the package nai provides, the license dat and messages.dat have been included. and the claim in above webpage doesn't say anything that stops user from using it. At least i don't see it.

btw, i just saw the agreement, but it is for users who want to download the regular DAT. I'm still not seeing any agreement to prevent downloading and using 4100 DAT with command line.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2005
  11. ErikAlbert

I used two AV scanners for awhile (Bitdefender Trial and AVG Free) at the same time, never noticed any problem, but security experts adviced me not to do this.
    So I ditched Bitdefender Trial, because I don't pay for security.
    I always listen to good advices, but I wasn't really convinced, because I never had a problem using both. What's the risk anyway ?

12. Ned Slider

That's the Beta page.

Taken from the main download page here, right after you've read the terms and conditions, and clicked "I Agree":

http://www.mcafeesecurity.com/us/downloads/updates/default.asp

I'd love to be able to recommend the McAfee command line scanner as a good free scanner as there's no doubt it's a good product, but I just can't see that it's legal given the statement above. Beta software, on the other hand, is a different matter. Anyone signed up to the beta testing program can download and test the software as part of their beta testing agreement.

Ned

13. shek

shek Registered Member

Yes i agree with you. But the agreement is just for the regular mcafee product which pass the QA test.

however what i am talking about is the beta DAT with command line scanner. if you go to security HQ , then go to security HQ->tools->Daily DATs->Beta/Emergency DATs and Command Line Scanner/DAT Packages->beta v4 dat files. There are no such agreement showing up. So I don't see any reasons i cannot use these beta DAT with command line scanner for free. Of course, i have to take the potential risk by myself.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2005
  14. Beefcarver

Beefcarver Registered Member

Bitdefender Free is this version 8 or 9 and is it real good to have.
    I like a2 free 173795 known traces todays update.

15. chaos16

it free is version 8 and the paid version is 9.

16. brjoon1021

brjoon1021 Registered Member

If I am following carefully enough. The suggestions for the free AV software are for a guy that uses a real-time paid version already.

Which AV softwares are best at real-time? I would occasionally run an online Kaspersky as a backup.

Thanks,

B.

17. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

Not really, the combination of avast! free (real time protection) and BitDefender 8 free (as backup on-demand) is quite effective. :)

18. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

The risk is BSOD, system lock up ,system slowdown. Malware getting through because your Av's are interfering with each other. The list could go on and on. I only named a few.

19. ErikAlbert

OK man. Since the advice, I have only one AV active, but you convinced me not to do it ever again.
    Thanks for the info.

20. Ever seen that happen? Or is this just hearsay?

I'm asking this only in the interest of finding a "scientific proof" of course.

21. The Hammer

With respect to BSOD, system lock up , system slow down I can answer yes. Malware getting through because two AV's are wrestling with each other no. But may be a possibility like two cops trying to arrest the same suspect and they hand cuff each other and the suspect gets away.Perhaps Paranoid 2000 or IBK could comment on my malware theory in post 18 in the interest of finding "scientific proof" of course.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2005
  22. The Hammer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.