Free Antivirus with Anti-Ransomware

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by TheIgster, Jun 28, 2017.

1. TheIgster

TheIgster Registered Member

So as I posted in the AVG thread, I've read that all versions of Bitdefender (even the free version) include their anti-ransomware. If anyone knows any different or can show a link to either prove of disprove this, please post.

With that being said, does anyone know of other free antivirus that includes an anti-ransomware component? Ransomware is a huge deal these days and it would be nice to have some included protection. Would like to find free options of course, but am willing to pay if required I suppose. Just always afraid of the wife getting caught while she's surfing and having to reload a whole system because of it.

2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

3. TheIgster

Hmmm...Not looking for an app to add to already running antivirus software. Looking for antivirus with it built-in.

4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Understood. When you mentioned ransomware is a pretty big deal these days it was just a likely suggestion on the outside chance those AV built-ins might not exactly be where they should be given the breaches some of them were bypassed so easy.

Ransom0ff (beta) is an excellent single program gear strictly toward ransomwares protection and is shown remarkable results in a short time frame since it's first been introduced.

Just thought it might be of some help for you. Sorry if you seen it any other way and best of luck finding a worthy enough integrated one within a good AV on your search.

5. TheIgster

Please don't misunderstand me. I appreciate your response. I will definitely check out that other software. Just thought it would be good to have a discussion on free options that are antivirus and include anti-ransomware. Nothing more than that. Cheers!

6. TheIgster

Just an FYI. I'm back posting after 45 minutes. To anyone thinking of installing Ransom0ff, don't. Nothing personal Easter, but that app is complete crap. Slowed my system to a crawl, tried to stop Google Drive from working, killed my start menu, wouldn't let System Restore in Windows restore, couldn't shut down the service couldn't uninstall it. Finally had to do a hard system restore in order to get back again. Almost an hour of my life wasted for some crap beta app. I should know better.

7. anon

anon Registered Member

Avira free.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  8. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Just install KAR if you need ransomware protection. Its free.

9. anon

anon Registered Member

10. LagerX

LagerX Registered Member

No, it does not:

Attached Files:

11. cloggy49

cloggy49 Registered Member

I'm using RansomOff for several weeks and I haven't noticed any negative impact and there are more happy users! So, I'm a bit wondered why you rated the program as crap so quickly. If you are having problems with RansomOff, contact he developer and he will be happy to assist you in nailing down your problem. Also note that this program has been heavily tested by cruelsister and she is also very positive about it.

12. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

Our member here thankful post sales of antivirus all the time check it out, also you can get very cheap antivirus through eBay for a few dollars there's no reason why one should be hunting for free programs when you can get the full benefits and protection of paid.

My last bitdefender key 3pc two years I got for a whopping whole 5 bux from eBay.

13. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

@daman1 Some of the cheap licenses you can buy from eBay are pirated. I purchased a license for Avast Premier for less than $5 at the end of last year. The listing advertised it as a "full genuine license". I was emailed the license file, and used it to activate Avast without any issues. However, a Google search revealed it was pirated, which I guess was to be expected for the price.

14. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

I would imagine so but I've purchased two license from eBay now with98- 100% feedback and both of them have been genuine but yeah I guess you would have to be careful but there are good deals out there.

15. TheIgster

I wasn't just having problems, I nearly had to reformat my system. I rated it poorly so quickly because it wasted an hour of my life trying to get my system back after installing it. I didn't even get a chance to view or or do anything with it. As I said previously, install at your own peril. If it works for you, great. It killed my system and made it inoperable so much so that I had to do a system restore from system boot.

I realize it is beta, but sorry, it's nowhere near ready for primetime and people should be cautious. I post what I encounter.

16. TheIgster

Ugh, acronyms again...no one spells things out anymore. Kasperskyo_O?

17. TheIgster

Avira Free has anti-ransomware built-in? Do you have a link that states that?

I'm trying Avast Free now. The ATC.SYS driver (BitDefender Active Threat Control Filesystem Minifilter) for Bitdefender Free keeps crashing the system at startup. Not always, but a few times now.

18. avman1995

avman1995 Registered Member

Avira free doesn't...its pure cloud and local signatures.All antiviruses protect against ransomware.I think anon is referring is to whether avira detects ransom malware in general.I wouldn't choose avira since it has failed to detect wannacry even after couple days afterwards to when it came out:
    /watch?v=t9DsD7tjtOg

Avast on the other hand has IDP from avg that is there for ransomware too.So if the sample is new and if it gets past all the shields,filerep and cybercapture then IDP will stop it while it tries to encrypt some of your files.(It may still encrypt couple files before being caught.)

19. TheIgster

There is a free version of Avira though?

As for Avast...IDP? What does that stand for (more acronyms...). AVG included ransomware protection in their last program update, but only with the full suite, not the basic protection in the free version. Wouldn't Avast do the same?

20. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I don't think that any free AV offers "behavioral monitoring" based protection against ransomware. So you're better of installing a specialized tool like RansomFree or AppCheck. I just read you had a very bad experience with RansomOff, so I can understand your reaction. Perhaps it was causde by some conflict, but RansomFree or AppCheck shouldn't give any problems.

21. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

Avast and AVG does.

22. TheIgster

Yup. Did some searching with some help from another member via PM and saw a couple of vids with Avast Free up against ransomware. It did very well.

23. Pat MacKnife

Pat MacKnife Registered Member

As seen in AV-Test and AVC avast & AVG have the same detection rate and it contains the same engine.
    http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php

It protects against ransomware a little bit, but Ransomware shield is available in avast IS and Premier / AVG IS.

24. IvoShoen

IvoShoen Registered Member

25. TheIgster

Well, the vids I saw, showed Avast Free, not their full package, protecting against ransomware. Good enough for me. Really don't feel the need to pay for AV.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.