Free android antiviruses with real-time scanner

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by RejZoR, Mar 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Dr webr eally slow on mid/low end phones
    on my p500 it took 3hours plus for a quick scan and it takes less than a minute in galaxy s2 !

2. cp4eva

cp4eva Registered Member

Yeah, I've tried Dr. Web on my Optimus V. It does a bang-up job protecting, but the scan took forever. Otherwise, it does just fine.

3. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

My phone had random (albeit short) freeze ups when I ran Dr. Web. I will probably use different apps for call blocking and finding my lost phone and just need a scanner for now. Maybe I'll try Zoner again? Just have not seen any tests for it showing whether it's actually effective or not.

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I've been using Zoner for a while. The Dev continues to release updates and lately has been saying that a significant upgrade is coming. Zoner has Call/SMS filtering. I would also like to see it tested by a third party for effectiveness against malware. I feel some confidence about it though because it's being actively developed.

For "anti-theft" (locating the phone, etc) I'm using F-Secure. It's free, installs as a device administrator and password protects access to managing applications (protection against unauthorized uninstall).

5. acr1965

I was pretty satisfied with Zoner except for no detection tests. Although there was something about their call blocking that irked me, just can't remember what it was now. But that feature can easily be disabled. I tried to use the F-Secure products but they are not available in the market yet. I've made a few posts on the F-Secure facebook page but am told they are trying to get in the market and will let me know.

6. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Dr Web's free version is excellent. Like how by default real time scanning is disabled. Quick scan took me 4 mins for 80 apps in total. Full scan about 15 mins. Using Samsung galaxy tab p1000.

Notice it shuts down in the background when you exit and no other services running. I don't think you need real time av on android at the moment. Down the track yes. Check reviews and download only the most popular apps. Don't test out obscure apps without reading about the product and developer.

Which browser are you using? I've found miren browser to be my favourite so far. Tried about 10 others including dolphin, opera and other popular ones in the market.

7. acr1965

I sometimes either use the default browser of dolphin hd but lately I've been liking the Maxthon best. Maybe I'll install dr. Web again and put it to disable real time scanning. Thanks for the info, I had forgot about that.

8. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

No problem. Maxthon would be my equal pick with miren, actually better by default. Miren had toolbars set to auto hide or smart hide which annoyed me but few tweaks and it is good.

Android is pretty good at uninstalling programs. Rather than use a third party app I always opt to go to applications, force close, delete data, then uninstall. Otherwise apps will leave behind folders and data. Also use a good file explorer to check for unwanted folders. Found ES file explorer works well to clean up and delete any files or folders.

By default it only shows your programs installed to avoid stuffing your system and seeing system files. Comes with its own image and video player as a bonus. The default file manager on android might not let you delete files and folders. I only delete folders which are either empty for a week or so, meaning uninstalled app created it, or folders which have names of the uninstall apps. If you go to its settings and select to show file details rather than just icons, you get to see when files were created eg. Today.

Good file manager 'ES file explorer' with simple once a week av, mixed with a good task manager such as 'android assistant' (has features like ccleaner does on the pc, clearing temp data etc) to see what's trying to open and run which your default task manager might not be seeing, and should be fine I think. :)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  9. acr1965

thanks for the info Saraceno, will check it out

10. cp4eva

cp4eva Registered Member

Happily, I've not experienced and freezing or slow-down with Dr Web. I reformatted my Optimus V and , after installing Dr Web 1st, was happy with the 23 second scan. I've tried Zoner, as well and thought it was ok. The 'firewall' was a bit too noisy though.

11. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Where's the firewall component in zoner ? o_O

12. Tomo172

Tomo172 Registered Member

I've also found Dr web lite good. I use a Samsung Galaxy mini which is fairly low spec and have had no performance issues.

13. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

May try Dr. Web out. I assume its free?

Any word on Avast yet?

14. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

I am not sure if this is free because I found its price @android market- $.4.99
    Check it out

15. acr1965

16. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Perhaps he meant the Call/SMS filtering feature.

17. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Note there's a new version of Zoner Antivirus - 1.2.1 - that now features an Anti-theft component. No ads and still free.

18. Trooper

Very cool.

I'm still waiting for Avast myself. I still don't run any av on my phone.

19. NormanN

NormanN Registered Member

Using ESET Beta. No problems. Good balance between AV and Theft, without bloat. Scans are fast. It'll be pay, but I'll buy it.

P

20. Trooper

I tried the first two versions and had problems with both. May try it again down the road.

What kind of android device do you have?

21. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Using it now ... very fast but detects super root as virus :D

22. Trooper

What phone do you have?

Also, let me know if you notice any decreased battery life.

Cheers.

23. NormanN

NormanN Registered Member

Unlocked Nexus S from Negri, on AT&T. Running WhisperCore (custom encrypted OS from Whisper Systems).

N

24. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Galaxy s2 - dnt find any decrease in battery life

25. acr1965

I'm going to give it a spin this weekend. Any detection test results for zoner yet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.