Free android antiviruses with real-time scanner

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by RejZoR, Mar 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Seek Droid is nice, it just works!

Dr Web AV is good though?

2. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Dr Web AV seems to work well enough. On my phone (HTC Incredible 2) the Quick Scan is very fast and in general I don't see any performance impact. I don't know how effective it or any of the other mobile AVs are though. It seems early in the game for all of these mobile security apps.

One issue I see with Seek Droid is it can't immediately lock the phone - it changes the lock code instead and I don't see the point of that. The FAQ recommends setting the screen to lock immediately, but if I do that why do I need an app to lock the phone remotely? I tried Kaspersky and it can immediately lock the phone with a text message. Seek Droid works fine for turning on the "Alarm" and also for locating the phone as long as GPS is turned ON. If GPS is off the location feature is not very accurate, but that's true regardless of which software app you use.

3. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Haven't tried it yet. Nice that they're giving it away, and it offers "lock", "locate" and SIM card protection. Don't know if it has self-protection against uninstall. That's really important as anyone who's in the business of stealing phones is going to immediately uninstall anti-theft software if possible. I may give this a spin tomorrow.

Edit: I tried F-Secure and it works well. The software uninstall is password protected, the program does not show in the running apps list. The locate command sends a Google maps link and the lock command locks the screen instantly. The only feature not offered in the free version is the alarm, which seems like it would only be useful if you've misplaced the phone within earshot. But if that's the case you can just call the phone and hear it ring.

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  5. acr1965

Thanks for the info. I requested a couple months back that F-Secure get the app in the Android Market but still waiting.

6. Trooper

Ive uninstalled Norton Mobile Security. It was ok overall but it seemed to be killing my battery life. Also I had no clue what it was scanning as it never showed up in the logs or the notification bar.

I'm gonna run no AV for awhile and see how it goes. Hoping Eset fixes up the beta or Avast comes out with a mobile AV to try.

7. m0unds

m0unds Guest

8. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

When is avast gonna release av for android ?

9. Trooper

Thank you!

I'm going to check this one out.

Cheers!

10. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

No settings option yet

11. Trooper

Yeah saw that and did not care for it. Also the scanning failed multiple times for me saying it did not have an internet connection. Also, when it finally did scan, it was super slow.

That said, I've uninstalled it.

12. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Same here and back to lookout for the moment

13. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Any1 tried Alyac antivirus ?

14. Trooper

Never heard of it.

EDIT: Think I will pass on this one.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  15. jumpshot

jumpshot Registered Member

Yes, I've been using it for a while.
    Cool, fresh UI; works unobtrusively.
    It has some nice features, one being its price :)
    I'm told the Korean business is long-established and well regarded.
    Your choice of English, Japanese, Korean.

16. Trooper

I still think I will pass. Hope Avast creates something at some point.

17. acr1965

FWIW- Webroot popped up a warning when I was navigating to a mobile site on my phone. I'm pretty confident it was a false positive. Anyway, I made a post on the Webroot facebook page about the issue and I had a timely response and then an email and support ticket within minutes. I also got a response my customer rep was able to replicate the issue and they were working on it and would let me know when the issue was resolved. That was earlier today so I hope to hear back sometime this weekend or so. The mobile site was one which microsoft gives free when you have a listing in their business portal, I think it was previously called microsoft places, something like that...it's where you can have a listing on bing maps. So I would suspect kind of a wide spread false positive. But the customer service thus far has been a good experience.

18. acr1965

Looks like TheftAware is on sale for 70% off normal price. Has anyone on this site purchased this product in the U.S. that can comment on this and the dollar conversion of 4.49 Euro?

https://www.theftaware.com/purchase.srv?mode=web&step=start&pmode=purchase

19. Victek

Victek Registered Member

4.49 Euro = 6.40 US. You can install the free trial of Theft Aware and see if it works well for you.

20. acr1965

I will try that. This looks like a good deal for a lifetime license.

21. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I'd be interested in your impressions. Theft Aware has some advanced features, such as being able to turn on the GPS. It would be nice to know how well the advanced stuff works. I'm currently using F-Secure Anti-Theft. I think it would be very helpful if I had misplaced the phone, but I don't think it would deter a thief who knows have to disable security software.

22. Victek

Victek Registered Member

23. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

I find Lookout(Free) to be very good on my android device. I had tried some other one's which either slowed my phone or smoked the battery too quickly. I am only using the realtime anti-malware module and the missing device finder. I don't use the backup module since I backup my device regularly to my pc.

Ice

24. Trooper

I'm back to using lookout as well. Its ok but quirky. As in I have scans set to scan once a week on Monday, which never happens. It seems to have a mind of its own.

Maybe I will try Eset again once its been updated.

25. acr1965

I've noticed Webroot being disabled from time to time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.