Free android antiviruses with real-time scanner

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by RejZoR, Mar 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Blocking SIM card is no problem, you just have to go to your provider, what's more concerning is the access to Google account and all it's data along with data on phone. Ok, i can revoke the Google access by removing the 2 step authentication but the data already on the phone will remain there as far as i know.

2. Technical

Technical Registered Member

I have sensitive applications blocked in my Blackberry with a password.
    Indeed, your GMail data will be exposed.

3. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I believe the AT software in Avast can wipe the data via remote SMS (Theft Aware could), but again the phone has to be ON. Enabling automatic password protected screen lock is a deterrent.

4. Technical

Yes, on rooted phones.

5. Victek

Victek Registered Member

If you look at the features list on this page you will see that remote memory wipe does not require the phone to be rooted. This feature is available in many other mobile security apps and does not require root access.

http://www.avast.com/free-mobile-security

6. Technical

You're right. My fault.
    I'm translating the manual and mixed the concepts (root and device admin).

Quote from the future help files:

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I assume it's possible to for example first lock the device and if you feel like it later, also wipe it even though it was first locked. Haven't really went into such depths for anti-theft features but it would make sense. I mean if you suspect that you lost it you just lock it and then look for it in places where you might have forgotten it. If you can't find it anywhere you wipe it. This way you don't have to start all over if you happen to find it because it was just misplaced.

8. Technical

Yes, this is possible.
    See SMS commands list: http://www.avast.com/en-us/free-mobile-security#tab4

9. Victek

Victek Registered Member

There is an update available for the Avast Anti-Theft module - 1.0.1971

By the way, to apply updates to the A.T. module it's necessary to disable the Device Administrator setting. The update process offers to do this for you but doesn't offer to re-enable it after the update is finished. It's important to go in and reset it manually so the A.T. is fully functional. It would be good if the updater either took care of this or informed the user.

10. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

11. pykko

pykko Registered Member

12. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

13. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I need to start reading the descriptions closer before I post. Sorry. I saw Kaspersky released a free version but IIRC the av is cloud based and I'm not sure what all scanning options it has included. https://market.android.com/details?...esult#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5rbXMuZnJlZSJd

14. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

15. PunchsucKr

PunchsucKr Registered Member

I didn't know so many here were installing an av on Android... I had given avast a try, loved the ui and features and the anti theft component, in the end I decided didn't really need the av so just kept the amazing anti theft component. It along with the av becomes much more functional if the phone is rooted, which I was about to attempt but stopped after seeing the superuser app dev's immature comment on the description page and decided I will never attempt it. :p
    Anyways coming back to topic , avast really is imho the best av on Android with great detection rates and featureset. It wasn't hungry on resources at all..
    If anyone does want an av on android I believe he doesn't hav to look any further than avast.

16. Victek

Victek Registered Member

It seems to me that the development and propagation of android malware is following a course similar to that of Windows PCs. Windows viruses started small with comparatively mild consequences. Finally the problem became bad enough for it to be generally recognized. I'm not experiencing any downside to running Avast on my phone, and you can't beat the cost or the feature set. It may not be necessary now, but it's only a matter of time.

17. PunchsucKr

PunchsucKr Registered Member

Sad to say it but even I believe it can be so with the proliferation of 3rd party stores some ofthem being very shady. It's gotten a lot under control at the play store though but even so I saw an app only yesterday with comments that it gave ad notifications in the status bar. Furthermore I can see multiple useless games with calling and sms sending permissions..the differnce from windows malware being that I could see those permissions...this and the fact that I only download well known apps which are generally paid for is what made me stop using the AntiVirus.
    But it does remain a possibility I may again start using it soon or later if the malware scene becomes much worse.

18. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

its a sad state of affairs when people start using antivirus suites on phones..

say what you want about apple, but credit where its due.

19. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Phones and smartphones aren't the same thing...

20. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Why, and what does Apple deserve credit for?

21. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

:thumb: :D :argh:

22. treehouse786

for getting a human to check each app on the appstore is not malicious hence no need for an antivirus.

iphone is a smart phone, it does not need an antivirus ;)

oh look champs here, fanboys will be fanboys. enjoy the thread, am out :rolleyes:

23. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Oh look afraid of the fanboy...and android is getting more and more malware because it is popular :D

24. treehouse786

i rest my case..

25. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Good..and from next time drag apple in an android thread :cautious:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.