Forum Migration to XenForo Completed

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by LowWaterMark, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Sampei Nihira

Sampei Nihira Registered Member

Safe admin link returns "error"

2. Sampei Nihira

Sampei Nihira Registered Member

Congratulations.
    Look.....:confused::confused:

3. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

Well done LowWaterMark for doing the work. I know it can be very nerve-wracking :eek: when you have a lot of members and everyone is used to the previous layout and format. This is when a backup is most important.
    I find the speed ok.
    I agree with others that it is a bit bright and glary and my avatar looks pixely. The avatars all seem one size. The link unlink text colour font size bar is a bit thin and small in size (or seems so). The reply buttons also feel small. I'm sure that things will get ironed out as we go along.

4. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

So far everything working fine here. Congratulations.

But please remove the pink...

5. Peter 123

Peter 123 Registered Member

XenForo offers numerous styles as can be seen here:
    http://xenforo.com/community/resources/categories/styles.29/

Some of these styles are looking quite nice. For example I like very much this one:

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/vb-3-x-fluid-fixed.2151/
    (called vB 3.x - Fluid & Fixed)

If you scroll to the images on the linked page you can see that this style has a very clear appearance and that it reminds good old Wilders' look. :thumb:

Here are two of these images:

Forum.jpg

Forum2.jpg

So I think that those of us who are not happy with the current appearance (especially because of the brightness) can hope that there will be found a satisfying alternative. :)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  6. guest

guest Guest

First, congrats for the new look!

Second, sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm too lazy to read the whole 6 pages ATM.

Third, just a suggestion, what about an exclusive web lolicon favicon?

And yeah, I love the new fancy look. Needed to figure out some stuff first, but all is well now. It works fine in my browser. Yaaaay! *puppy*

7. guest

guest Guest

I welcome this change, now i can "sync" Wilders with Malwaretips , feel here like home :p

i think LWM will adjust the forum theme in the near future to satisfy everybody , many themes are available; just be patient, for now he has lot of things to check, mostly the engine and the new core functions.

8. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Pink? I don't see pink anywhere...you mean orange? :)

9. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Thanks. I was looking for threads where I'd posted pre-migration. Magical thinking, I guess. I see now.

As others have said, it's locked down.

10. anon

anon Registered Member

Awful layout. My eyes........

11. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

I don't know, seems pink to me lol

12. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

Thank you for updating into a more secure forum, but:

Being older than most of you, justifies me maybe preferring the old style forum and this criticism.

The Avatar is bigger than the user's nick and that sure is a distracting factor. This question mark almost makes one attach an avatar, but i try resist. We all become some avatars and from now on I'll be a question mark?

It is also of some importance of when the member joined the forum and how many posts he/she has. The old style could tell that way if a member was a maniac poster whose posts maybe be not of so much value. Excluding enthusiastic valuable posters from that judgement of course.

Also agreeing about the reading layout. Too much space, lack of clear separation of posts, too bright.

The latest posts in the top of forum view would be nice to have back.

It is not to me enough if a logged user can change his view of the forum. Most readers in here don't log in until they have something to post. Perhaps here could be made some option like say many sites have regarding language, to make guests able to change the forum view look.

13. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    The feature most missed was the 'view latest posts' at the bottom of the previous forum. Hopefully it will be possible to add it back.

14. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Try clicking on the 'Recent Activity' tab at the top of the page.

15. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Yooy...
    how beautiful the "new world" :) I'm impressed...but at this time it's hard to accept new layout...too much open space?...and time to change old avatar?

16. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

This may change over time but... I liked the previous set-up a LOT better.

I did a search on my name. The search engine ran & ran & then just went away -- zero hits. Zero message as to what, if anything, went wrong such that there were no hits whatsoever. I know I have posted a few more times than zero.

Also, my 50X50 avatar looked fine on the old forum but now it is a grainy mess.

Uh... where's the CP?

17. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

bellgamin just click on your name top right of page.

18. guest

guest Guest

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. Malwaretips and other forums have them, so I think it's a native feature (too similar for an addon, and it's silly if XF doesn't have it out-of-box). We'll wait until LWM-san take care of that when he had enough rest. ;)

I think the problem is not about the forum being too bright, but the fonts being uh..., thinner.

BTW, how do I jump to the latest post of a thread in a forum section? I can do that in forum home. Currently the best option I have is to go to the last page and press the "END" key. But eh, that's slightly inconvenient. :doubt:

19. spywar

spywar Registered Member

Congrats, nice.

20. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Graf to get to the latest unread post in a thread, go into the section and click on the little black dot left of thread title.

To go to the last post of a thread you have already read click the date under the name of last poster in thread on right hand side of page.

21. Noob

Noob Registered Member

To be honest, i dont like the current theme.
    I feel its too bright and quite difficult to distinguish different posts since its divided by some very very faint blue lines. To me, it looks like a mess and quite difficult when reading lots of posts, in the old theme every post had a "Frame" or "Rectangle" and it was a lot easier to scroll through the posts and threads.

So i hope there will be a change in the next few days. :)

22. SnowFlakes

SnowFlakes Registered Member

to be honest, i liked the old theme much more then this one!!!

23. guest

guest Guest

Thanks. I didn't notice the dots and I didn't realize that the dates are clickable.

24. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

First of all congratulations on the migration :)

I was unable to login today, said my PW was wrong, does the new forum software or the migration perhaps not support long passwords with special characters?

Some good points here, regarding the new avatars; I think bigger usernames would help as well, they are way smaller than before.

It sure would be nice to have this, if it is possible.

The Subscribed threads succesfully migrated into the new Watched threads, but it seems like you have to go to your profile page first to access them instead of from any page like before.
    EDIT:Searching in the wrong places, its on the light blue bar on top of the page.

EDIT: Oh and 2 more points:
    - Previously with long threads you could just click the latest page to load, but now you have to mouse-over the thread name first before they become visible, can this be changed.

-The forum is a lot more user-friendly on iOS, but 1 downside that many mobile optimized sites these days seem to have; you can't zoom out to get more text on your screen.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  25. anon

anon Registered Member

The small fonts (especially the user name) and the color for the quotes are ridiculous......
    =

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.