Forum Migration to XenForo Completed

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by LowWaterMark, Apr 6, 2014.

1. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

Congratulations LWM and anyone else helping with that... and thank you! I hope you encountered something interesting along the way. That was easy to resolve ;) Not sure how you want to handle feedback (?), but...

1) When posting, I only see a Preview option if Javascript is enabled. Which would be nice to not have to enable here.

2) In Your Account->Settings->Privacy, the "People Who May..." area, it appears that changes to the checkboxes are not saved/applied properly if javascript is disabled. Not sure if this issue is limited to that area or those types of controls.

3) Signup is asking for date of birth and it is marked "required". I can't remember how the old board handled that, and don't know if you have concluded it is necessary to require that info. Pointing it out in case you can make it optional.

4) In Signup, Contact Us when not logged in, perhaps in other contexts too... PLEASE consider getting rid of the external, Google, recaptcha stuff and javascript reliance.

5) I think the yellow gradients are a bit hard on the eyes. Like here, where I'm typing my post

6) It appears you can't change the title of a thread you started. Might be nice if there was a short window on this.

Questions: Is there a way to disable display of avatars?

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

TheWindBringeth, thanks for the congrats and the input.

I have removed the requirement for date of birth. I think you only need that if your site is focus on children, under the whole COPPA thing. We don't, so we shouldn't need it.

As for the two Javascript items, there's nothing I can do about those. Those functions are simply provided using Javascript. Without it, you lose the functions.

For the time being, I'm going to keep recaptcha, at least until I work out better anti-spam protections.

I'll look into the yellow... you are referring to the background color in the post entry box, right? If it were white, it'd be better?

As far as I know, the avatars are there (and everywhere) to stay. I don't think there are disable options.

3. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

I can't imagine how much time/effort etc has gone into the transistion, so full marks for ALL of that :thumb:

When things change, they are obviously not the same, & often it takes some time to adjust. Right now i prefer the VB software, but i guess you ain't going back, so we'll need to get used to it !

For nostalga,

wsf.png

I figured out how to insert the above 1 screenie. No tags or ID etc were shown as before, so i wasn't given an option to place it where i wanted it. So i'm wondering how we would Insert multiple uploads into our posts ?

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

5. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

Shucks. Preview is pretty important, and those without javascript enabled and who aren't observant may not realize that the checkbox settings didn't stick after the save. When I have a moment I'll wander over to the XenForo forum and see if the subject has been discussed before.

It is mostly that there is a gradient. Although the darker shades of yellow might be contributing. I'd suggest getting rid of gradients wherever key text is displayed (such as post editing boxes, quoted material). As for the color, I'd lean towards a lighter shade but otherwise leave it up to you and/or others.

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Pliskin, I just updated all my bookmarks, and for the most part, only a couple did not resolve. This new forum's software is adding parameters to the URL that are different from the old forum, and I would suggest to anyone reading this, update your bookmark links!

If you have linked to individual posts in a thread, click the permalink # (next to the Reply link), and copy/paste that URL.

7. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Lost my cool old avatar :( It was part of the forum provided avatars.

8. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

After a two stage reset of my password, because Opera Wand no longer worked for the transfer to new forum, I am now logged in.

However, I am not enthralled by Wilders's new look. Thumbs down[no icon]....sorry.

9. Feandur

Feandur Registered Member

Really, really, BIG icons/avatars.....guess that is as important as the message now.
    aka: Marshall McLuhan.

Almost missed this post reply box with its faint outline.

Guess it's a case of getting used to the new format after , lol, nealy a decade.
    Good work, all the same.

-cheers,
    feandur

10. snerd

snerd Registered Member

I like it! For those complaining about the brightness............ try turning your brightness down?!

11. CloneRanger

A couple of useful things not carried over ? prev.png

12. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Yeah! That was the best...you always knew where you were, instantly....and new posts ticking over after refresh of the browser.

P.S. How do I preview, before I finally make my post?

13. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Tarnak, the Preview button is accessed by clicking the More Options buttons, after creating the post, prior to Post Reply.

14. CloneRanger

@ Tarnak

Click "More Options "

EDIT

JRViejo beat me to it :D

15. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Here it is: :thumbd:

hqsec

16. Stigg

Stigg Registered Member

Thanks.
    Are there forum settings available so we can change views like theme and default font?
    I like clean fonts.

17. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Always fast on the draw, CR. ;)

18. ParadigmShift

ParadigmShift Registered Member

Very nice.

I can smell the new carpet and wet paint. ;)

19. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Thanks, all...

But, how do I reply to everyone with their quotes... I could have done that before, but now I am scratching my head. ;):doubt:

20. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

That's a thumbs down? I would never have seen it, ....;) ...still don't, Bring back the old one!

21. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Seemed very different at first, but I'm already liking it better. Very nice so far...

22. Minimalist

You use reply on right side of post you want to quote.

hqsec

23. Minimalist

Yes, I like it better also. Well done! :thumb:

hqsec

24. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Yeah....I understand that for single quote, and reply.:)

However, for multiple quote and reply to several members, that is the problem.

25. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Thanks for all your effort! ;)

It's really strange, but like you said, will be a learning curve for all of us...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.