Forum Migration to XenForo Completed

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by LowWaterMark, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

With the old forum software, I could hit the "Back" button in Firefox after reading any unread posts in a thread, and the thread title was marked as read. Now, after returning to the sub forum, the thread title is still in bold until I click the "Reload" button. It then will appear as having no unread threads. It made it simpler for me to see if there were any threads containing posts I hadn't read. I did click the link to mark all forum posts as read. Is there a setting to enable this, or is this just due to the new forum software and can't be changed?

2. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Thank you. That's what I was afraid of. A real step backwards from a basic feature in the old forum.

3. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

The only way I've found is to insert manually BB code:

wilders-link1.jpg

then insert your URL and text (word):

wilders-link2a.jpg

and it displays thus:

Wilders

----
    rich

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  4. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Select text, then click Link button.

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. If you're using the Rich Text Editor, highlight the word, click the link button (7th from the left), enter the URL in the popup display box.

6. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Thanks, MrBrian and JR -- how did you find the instructions to do that?

Is there a Forum Help or FAQ?

----
    rich

7. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

You're welcome :).

I found it by intuition.

8. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Very easy. I should have seen that. TY JR and MrBrian and Rmus. :thumb:

9. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Just made them up. ;) We do have a Help section but it's rather bare at the moment. All in due time.

To enable the Rich Text Editor, point your mouse at your name (top of forum), and click the Preferences link in the popup. Make sure Use the rich text editor... box is checked.

10. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Page42, you're welcome! Take care.

11. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Cloudcroft, I found the same issue using Firefox 28, and no setting that I can see.

Perhaps LowWaterMark will address the forum software portion of your question when he comes online.

12. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Which button is that :D

13. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Well, Ccleaner does not clean my cookies, so that not it. I was logged out again, I guess, that I am the only one, so I will just have to live with it. :doubt:

14. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

What browser are you using? I'm logged in on two computers using Chrome for almost a week and have never been logged out.

hqsec

15. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Yandex browser, Chrome based, I was never logged out from the old forum or from any other webpage for months, just from this new one.

16. Cloudcroft

Thanks, JR.

17. SweX

SweX Registered Member

@Rmus and Peter 123.

Thanks to both of you for pointing out where to find that quote "button" in the menu, I just figured there was none as there is a huge gap between the "Tx" (remove formatting) button to the right and the other ones. But now I know wich will be very useful :thumb:

Rmus, yes that works, but sometimes I want to go straight to a page in a thread by clicking on one of the numbers that is under the thread, and since they are quite tiny it's easy that the cursor moves up on the thread, but I think I'll get used to it as times goes by. Everything is still quite new around here :D

18. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Some other users also reported this, so it might be a problem or some settings on new forum...

hqsec

19. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Well, there's no forum setting that allows some people to stay logged in fine for the last week (like yourself) while causing other people have to sign-on each time they are away.

The answer will end up being in the difference between your configuration and selected options versus others. In other words, if everyone was doing what your doing (browser and privacy settings, etc.) then they would likely stay logged in like you do, as well.

20. LowWaterMark

A lot of the functionality in XenForo is based upon Javascript layered into parts of the page. Very much happens dynamically to page content as you browse. The back button is unlikely to be able to function like it did on the old forum because the Javascript won't roll things back. And there are also caching changes on this forum. So, I don't think what you were doing before will work now.

21. Cloudcroft

LWM, thanks for the clarification.

22. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I am a little lazy so forgive me if this was already mentioned in the previous 16 pages, but I noticed that the reply button functions exactly like a quote button. There is no button to reply without quoting.

Also on the mobile interface (with the vB 3.x - Fluid style), I find that the report/reply buttons stick out like a sore thumb compared to the compact text links used by the default style.

23. LowWaterMark

Unfortunately, that's a problem with the vB3 style. Whether on mobile or large screen, in the standard XenForo styles, those options are all links in small text - just so they won't be in the way. The vB3 style is all graphic buttons, (here in the simulated vB3 and on real vBulletin forums), so, on a small screen they are going to stand out like like. I simply don't recommend the old vB3 style for mobile devices. It's here to make the forum more familiar to the existing members. It's not going to do too great on mobiles.

Edit: Added image for others to know what we're talking about:

text links default.png

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  24. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Is it possible to load different styles depending on our browser's UA? So I could have the old vB styles on my desktop but the default style for mobile.

25. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hello,
    Just reply to the thread by typing your response into the quick reply box at the bottom of the page and then clicking the "Post Reply" button (bottom right under the quick reply box) if you do not wish to quote anyone.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.