Fortinet Security Suite

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dw426, Sep 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morro

Morro Registered Member

Yeah me to. :)

2. Warklen

Warklen Registered Member

The Reg Guard is a nice bonus Im also liking the Web Filter alot.

3. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

they do update the client often a monthly minor update and at least 2 major updates a year so they are active on updating the product which is nice to see.

4. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

5. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

hmm interesting even tho they did bad in the past i would want to see a current up to date . but thank you for the info.

6. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

the verison of the client they used is old. they used client version 4.0.2.57

the forticlient version is at 4.1.0.124

so it may or maybe not correct tests. but i dont know just guessing.

all in all i like the suite its nice.

7. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Also the freeware version has a subset of the black list data base of the paid (only the cuurent or in the wild virusses). It passed all vb100 tests in 2009 though.

8. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

hmm didnt know that about the database. but still a good product i think.

are you using it kees?

9. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

It seems to be an excellent firewall, but it needs to use an HIPS to ensure the protection of the system.

10. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

yup that might be added in the future we will have to wait and see :)

11. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

As far I'm using Fortinet with Defense+ ( not firewall enabled ): I don't understand why the default settings of the real time av protection are " programs files and documents ":rolleyes: and not " all files "

12. Morro

Morro Registered Member

I am not 100% sure so do not quote me on it.(Probably will. :) )

But i think this could have to do with the fact that FC was first aimed at businesses where the employees usually only have access to "programs files and documents". Due to office programs and such.

13. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

This new versions sounds ok. Used with something like sandboxie, might be one light and effective setup.

How's the install, quick and easy?

14. Morro

Morro Registered Member

Yeah i thought it was quick and easy.

15. Saraceno

Just noticed you're using it with sandboxie. Good stuff. No slowdowns opening your browser, or launching applications?

I used the old version with ThreatFire with no problems. Wonder if there are any conflicts now.

I think if this improves, so too does the new avast, there will be a lot of happy users.

16. Morro

Morro Registered Member

I have not noticed any slowdowns with my browsers. I can not say i noticed a slowdown with launching applications either, in fact the only very small slowdown i notice is at computer start up. When Vista shows the loading bar at start up it seems to take maybe 5 to 10 seconds longer before it continues, but i do not mind that personally. :)

17. Saraceno

Morro, you're quick with the replies! What about updates? They take long, or quick as saying your name?

18. Morro

Morro Registered Member

Well i only installed it last wednesday, but it updates everyday. The virus signatures have updated everyday so far, and yesterday the Spyware Signatures and AntiSpyware engine updated as well.

I am not certain whether the Spyware Signatures update everyday as well or only ones every few days, but i placed a topic about that on the FC forums. So far it has yet to be answered though.

19. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

In my experience they have been quick.

20. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Yep,

Because with DW on the XP machine only OutlookExpress and Outlook are allowed to touch my documents (D:\ [data] partition) , While Iron and IE ar eonly allowed to save in T:\ [Tempory data partition]. I can set it to only check at writes and e-mail (like MSE only can check downloads and e-mail). Which makes it at very light AV, it does very little I/O and uses very little CPU.

Due to DefenseWall I only have an AV to prevent us spreading virusses (DW paralyses malware, so it can do us no harm), so I do not mind it only contains the in the wild virusses.

I am doubting between MSE and Fortinet for this purpose at the moment. When MSE is out of beta and owrks flawlwssly on XP Pro, I will give that another try also.

Cheers

21. the Tester

The firewall seems to be good.
    It gets stealth results at Shields Up.
    And it can be easy to use.

22. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

yup the defult is custom mode, which ask for in and out going apps.

but if you set it to home basic it sets it so in is blocked and out is asked. so it like windows firewall.
    but it is easy to use i think and give you the info you need.

23. Morro

Morro Registered Member

A few days ago some one on the FC forums posted that the update for the Spyware Signatures Version could perhaps be different from the Virus Signatures Version. And i was adviced to wait a few days to see what happens.

Ok so i waited a few days to see if the Spyware Signatures Version would update. And after using FortiClient for 11 days the Virus Signatures Version updated each and everyday...BUT since installment the Spyware Signatures Version has updated only ones for me?

With the current speed at which viruses..spyware and such appear i think that is way...WAY to little. Both Virus Signatures Version and Spyware Signatures Version should update each and every day in my opinion.

I am seriously thinking of uninstalling FC and start using Avira and a separate FW again. Or am i being to paranoid about this? o_O

24. the Tester

That's one of the primary reasons why I uninstalled Forticlient.
    Spyware signatures should update a lot more frequently.

Another annoyance is the categorization issue for popular programs that was previously mentioned. How long does it take to re-categorize well-known safe programs?

25. Morro

Morro Registered Member

Well i just did uninstall it. I will continue to watch this program though, ones they make sure that both Virus Signatures and Spyware Signatures version update each and every day i will gladly switch back to FC again.

But till then it is back to the old combo. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.