FortiClient

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by gery, Feb 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gery

gery Registered Member

i installed FC just last night and find it to be pretty decent. It blocked all but two ( out of 2 dozens) malware links. It is much lighter than what it used to be like almost a year ago. It is free and it updates very frequently.It is really simple and the scan speed is improved drastically. The only thing it needs a bit of improvement is the main interface but that is absolutely not so important.
    Thumbs up for FortiClient:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Your post motivated me to give Forticlient Antivirus (FAV) a trial.

Good news -- FAV does not require a restart during installation. Therefore, I was able to trial it in Shadow Mode. :)

FAV installed & ran well on my aging computer (1.7MHz cpu, WinXP). Process Explorer showed 6 active processes for FAV. These were fairly busy in terms of cpu usage & I/O. However, my computer did not feel particularly sluggish.

I'll let it run for a day or so. So far, I would rate it *okay*. However, I have no idea as to its detection abilities. Does anyone know of a recent test?

3. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

bellgamin, from previous tests of users here, and throw in some youtube tests I've watched, it works well if you include the website blocking as its method of detection.

See youtube review for example. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyGV11l360w

But as we know, all depends on the user. If the firewall blocks a file which would have caused more damage, then the program has been of use. (For example, in the review above, I would have blocked the outbound firewall alerts, which most likely downloaded more files).

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  4. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

I also tried this recently, and found it better than I remember it about 2 years ago, but after a few days decided to uninstall, and found it left quite a few drivers and remnants behind, and unfortunately, when I found these and manually deleted saw I had lost my internet connection, and couldn't get it back despite trying to restore, and in the end reinstalled Forticlient and this worked. What I'm asking is if anyone can recommend the best, most thorough method of uninstallation, please. In a 77 page user guide it isn't mentioned, and this is the only official info I can find:
    http://kb.fortinet.com/kb/microsite...LE_1_1&dialogID=14913818&stateId=0 0 14915482

There doesn't seem to be a removal tool? What about AppRemover perhaps?

5. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

With heuristics enabled Forticlient still produces many false positives. It flags even signed Microsoft files as suspicious. But it has a good webfilter which is its strong point. On uninstallation it left around 200 mb of files in temp folder which I cleaned using ccleaner. It leaves behind some directories, registry entries and driver files. Manually creating a system restore point before installation and restoring the sytem to that time after uninstallation helps to maintain system stability.

6. gery

gery Registered Member

i had it for several days on my main machine and it ran without a problem. Update scan everything went ok and i really liked it a lot. Then uninstalled and installed AIS otherwise was going to remain here . No false detections at all. with heur set to high and everything .

7. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

I tried it about 2 weeks back and I got false positives with heuristics enabled. May be Forticlient is not familiar with Vista OS files:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.