FortiClient Endpoint Security 5

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by phyniks, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Tarantula

Tarantula Guest

That's not what the website says. I'm failing to see anything about paid version. It's clearly stated that free version has application firewall. Where is it?

http://www.forticlient.com/

Attached Files:

2. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

Looks like some clarification is needed here- the free Forticlient 5.2.2 product is nothing but an AV with a web filter. The web filter is good, the AV no so much (you'll have to trust me on that one). In spite of what Forticlient's web page would lead one to believe, the firewall was removed from the product about 2 years ago.

As for a Paid product- this would be one of the Fortigate network appliances which are actually quite good (mainly due to the presence of a sandbox) and I feel are surpassed only by products from Fireye and Palo Alto. But all of these appliances are for corporate use and certainly not realistically available to the home user.

3. Tarantula

Tarantula Guest

I know all this. What I don't know is why the false advertising? That's how people create bad names.

I would use Forticlient if there was a real firewall included.

4. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Not false advertising, laziness, or lack of focus on the free client. Forticlient is also growing faster than they are keeping up, and staffing at times is thin. This chart may be of use.

Attached Files:

5. fblais

fblais Registered Member

When I look at the Forticlient client website homepage, I see this:
    On the Left it says Free Download, and on the right, a list of features, including Application Firewall.
    From your own chart, it's clear that only a handful of these features are available in the Free client.
    I'm calling this false advertising.

Attached Files:

• FC.jpg
      FC.jpg
      File size:
      61.1 KB
      Views:
  6. reyes

reyes Registered Member

@Mayahana - can you please check your PM

7. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

I wouldn't expect it to be updated as it's a low priority from what I gather. Also, since the licensed version does include those features, it's probably not even considered misleading. Generally litigation for false advertising falls under the intent to mislead to gain sales. Since the product is free, that likely wouldn't apply. But I agree, they probably should fix it.

8. Behold Eck

Behold Eck Registered Member

Ah, so that`s where the zero day stuff is.

Nicely explained.

Regards Eck:)

9. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Looks like to take full advantage of it you need the license pack, linked to a Fortigate appliance. Then it rides on the Fortiguard with the appliance, and utilizes the IPS sigs on the appliance, and then activates the Firewall with that. So I would assume the licensed version is pretty potent. It's a shame they nerfed the free one in version 5.2...

10. pb1

pb1 Registered Member

Hi

Does anyone know if the test of Fortinet that AV-comp. does is for the antivirus only or the whole suite .?
    It performs rather good whatever it is that does it .

11. fblais

fblais Registered Member

I'd like to ask if other people have the same problem as I do with Forticlient and Thunderbird.
    When new mail arrives, sometimes the content of an email is overwritten by the content of another one.
    Weird, I know...
    I'm seeing the same thing on my PC at home and at work.
    Had to uninstall it.

12. ance

ance formerly: fmon

What’s New in FortiClient (Windows) 5.4.0

13. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Hmmm Sandbox. Someone test this for us! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.