Former Opera CEO Launches Vivaldi, A New Browser For Power Users

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Jan 27, 2015.

1. guest

guest Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2020
  2. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

They have finally fixed the problem with the wrong tab positions. BTW, I don't see any mail and calendar feature in this version, where to find it?

Weird, perhaps you can disable all except for uBlock Origin pure for testing.

3. Sampei Nihira

Sampei Nihira Registered Member

I've read elsewhere that Android Vivaldi doesn't support Google Safe Browsing.:confused::confused::confused:
    If any member of W. uses this browser they should do some testing.
    I recommend using the PhishThanks database.

P.S.

No Google Safe Browsing,I checked it myself.:eek::thumbd::thumbd::thumbd:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
  4. Rasheed187

What the hell, did you notice a couple of new settings related to Google Extenions in Vivaldi's privacy settings? I wonder what that's all about, is it a good idea to add these features when you are focused on privacy? And I also don't see how to manage these Google Extensions, you can only turn them on and off.

5. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

dim.jpg

I've discovered that when the browser is in minimised mode Vivaldi 3.4.2066.106 (Ubuntu) works as usual. However, in maximised mode it becomes unresponsive and the GUI rendering is distorted and corrupted (below).

max.jpg

This only happened after the last upgrade.

6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Just disabled the other exts, then rebooted. Still same ****.

7. Rasheed187

Weird, then I advice you to reinstall Vivaldi 3.2, too bad that you can't simply downgrade. But newer versions don't really offer that much more. Also, about Google Extensions, I noticed that when you disable "Web Store", you can't install extensions anymore. So I don't know why Vivaldi added these features, to give more control over Google services?

8. zmechys

zmechys Registered Member

A few weeks ago I complained about Vivaldi advertising "Broadcast my IP for Best WebRTC performance".
    It was fixed later, but now it's back.
    It's irritating.
    Next.
    Suddenly, my Vivaldi has a WebRTC IP Leak.
    It's bad.
    I've tried various add-ons to prevent that leak, but nothing helps.

What's going on with that Vivaldi safety/security fluctuations?

P.S. Currently, my favorite browser for safety/security reasons is Maiar.

9. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

I used Vivaldi over Opera for multiple reasons, however one of them is that they updated their version of Chromium faster than Opera. So security issues are fixed faster. However, new major versions of course need testing first before they can be released as stable. Chromium 77 was released almost 3 weeks ago with 33 security fixes and there is no stable Vivaldi release yet(though they are already at release candidate now). You can also of course use Vivaldi snapshots, this way, you'll always have the latest major Chromium version. I've done that for quite a while, sometimes there is a bigger bug like some types of videos not able to play, but everything works properly most of the time. However, after a new version has reached Stable, there may not be a new snapshot for a while. For example, when 2 security issues that were exploited in the wild were fixed by Chromium, Vivaldi released an update with the new Chromium version a day later. However, there was no snapshot version at the time, so snapshot got the fix after 8 days instead of one.
    I'm currently starting to use Brave, it seems they update their Chromium version a lot faster.

10. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Vivaldi is really slowing down incredibly more & more for me on 0n 8.1.

Every single time something like this comes out and is good these makers find new ways to eventually cram junk in it called improvements and ruin it making it unusable eventually.

Seems to be a pattern anymore. Very disappointed.

It upon launching becomes unresponsive and now the GUI rendering is distorting

11. Daveski17

Like I said earlier; it's starting to resemble Opera ASA in this respect. It's a tad disconcerting.

12. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I'm gonna try shutting down some extensions to see if that can alleviate the hesitation. Mind you I used most for quite some many months with not a single problem. But lately Vivaldi is Slooooooow and nowhere near the speedy it was, and not that long ago.

I knew the very minute they started going the route (Vivaldi adds this & that) which had nothing to do with either security or the smooth functioning itself that would begin to gum it up the way some do.

13. Daveski17

I've run Vivaldi since the first beta on Ubuntu. It was always quirky. I kept thinking they'll get their **** together any day now. I'm less optimistic these days. It's running better on macOS for me though.

14. zmechys

This morning, I did a test.
    Just Brave and Maiar with very few (the same) extensions and the same VPN proxy/extension.
    No VPN app. Just my ISP and those two browsers with the same two extensions - Canvas Fingerprint Defender and WebRTC leak shield - and the same VPN proxy (the same location).

Brave (kind of) leaked.

dnslk.PNG

While Maiar didn't.

MaiarDns.PNG

15. Rasheed187

Weird, I'm not having any problems with speed. With the latest 3.5 snapshot they fixed a couple of annoying bugs related to tabs, so now I'm happy again. Vivaldi stays the best browser for me.

16. zmechys

Here is an interesting thing.
    I have Vivaldi installed on three Windows 10 Pro - OS Build 19042.662 - computers.
    All computers have the same set of Apps, Software. Just different makers.
    And my Vivaldi works/acts slightly different on all those Windows 10 computers.

17. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

@Rasheed187

Do you think or in your time with Vivaldi with adding crap stopping extensions like Ublock Origin and in my case others listed in my siggy below, could it be that's the reason for the slow downs I been experiencing? Like I mentioned above I intend to at least turn off (not remove) some of those to see if some overlap might be contributing to what I noticed lately.

Last thing I want to have to do is go Browser hunting for the umpteenth time again.

18. Rasheed187

Yes, I do believe extensions might play a role. I did combine Ghostery, ABP and uBlock Origin for a month without any major problems though.

19. Gandalf_The_Grey

Gandalf_The_Grey Registered Member

Off topic @EASTER you know that Nano Defender (still in your siggy) is now malware?
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/google-removes-two-chrome-ad-blockers-caught-collecting-user-data/
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thr...der-from-your-browsers-except-firefox.433386/

20. BoerenkoolMetWorst

As I said in the other thread, you need to check your browsers DNS settings, Brave has secure DNS enabled by default, so it will then probably not use your VPN's DNS unless you disable secure DNS.

21. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

22. zmechys

I have disabled secure DNS, but Brave is going anyway through its NetActuate servers.

23. guest

guest Guest

GMail access for Mail Technical Preview users – Vivaldi Browser snapshot 2115.71
    December 7, 2020
    https://vivaldi.com/blog/desktop/gm...eview-users-vivaldi-browser-snapshot-2115-71/
    Page Actions – Vivaldi Android Browser snapshot 2128.3
    December 7, 2020
    https://vivaldi.com/blog/mobile/android-3-5-2128-3/

24. anon

anon Registered Member

25. BoerenkoolMetWorst

Hmm strange.
    I have never used a browser extension VPN, so can't help you there.
    If you want to chain multiple VPN's, it is better to use VM's. @mirimir here has some excellent guides.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.