Former Opera CEO Launches Vivaldi, A New Browser For Power Users

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Oh my God! 8000 bookmarks:) how do you manage them?

2. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

See link for more info. Actually, I have now imported 2500 bookmarks with no problems, but I hope this bug can be fixed. I have also noticed that the more bookmark folders, the longer it will take to bookmark all tabs via "Bookmark All Open Tabs", the freezing will start again. The good news is that after reinstall of Vivaldi, I don't have any problems on Yahoo Finance anymore, scrolling goes smoothly, not sure what caused this.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/how-do-you-manage-your-bookmarks.409422/

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

:thumb:

4. fossewayfella

fossewayfella Registered Member

I am new to this thread. Are you talking about Vivaldi here or Vivaldi Snapshots?

fosseway

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

All things Vivaldi.

6. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Don't know about the "trustworthy", since when/after you use it, they say thank you in russian ("spasibo" is in the link, but it's in Kingston, NY, USA and no AV nor MBAE ever flagged it. I used it several times:
    http://prsync.com/getvideoorg-/getv...-to-download-youtube-and-vimeo-videos-735958/
    Pick carefully through the video quality selection list in the dropdown. Some selections might give you video with missing audio. But then you rerun it using a different option. I can't recall all details at this point.

7. RED_404

RED_404 Registered Member

A little less sketchy https://github.com/rg3/youtube-dl/
    GUI versions https://mrs0m30n3.github.io/youtube-dl-gui/
    and SmoothVideo Project (SVP) https://www.svp-team.com/wiki/Main_Page also has SVPtube 2 extension.

Edit: None of these are browser extensions but I think there are some that can call youtube-dl and SVPtube 2 monitors the clipboard for supported links.

8. guest

guest Guest

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Minor update (2) for Vivaldi 2.1

10. Rasheed187

Thanks but a lot of these third party tools often don't always work. The Firefox extension that I mentioned worked perfectly on almost every video, can't believe that nobody ported it.

Thanks buddy. I'm quite happy with Vivaldi, however it did crash on me a few times, probably because of the amount of open tabs. It's a bit weird because multi-process browsers should be quite stable.

11. AutoCascade

AutoCascade Registered Member

Does Vivaldi save 'Channel ID's' for websites? Google has supposedly deprecated the tech behind Channel IDs, token binding, due to issues that made it too complex to bother moving forward but Chrome still loads them from some websites even if you have cookies blocked entirely they load.

The reasoning behind them was to bind a websites cookie so it couldn't be reproduced and used to fraudulently access someone's account on websites however if you aren't loading cookies then you aren't using the website that way - the Channel ID just becomes a non block able cookie that can only be deleted manually.

It used to be just Google Channel IDs that I'd see and I use Google extensively so okay my cookies are being protected but lately I'm seeing Channel IDs for services that I may have used by using a website - superfastcdn.com Channel ID is one I have seen off the top of my head.

Anyway does Vivaldi load them also? Thanks

12. AutoCascade

AutoCascade Registered Member

I was able to answer my own question on this one. I installed Vivaldi on a Chromebook through Debian. It's actually pretty nice. No Channel IDs are downloaded.

Edit - Channel IDs are there but Vivaldi doesn't show them. They are hidden here -

vivaldi://settings/siteData

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

14. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

15. guest

guest Guest

16. guest

guest Guest

17. Rasheed187

Some bad news, Vivaldi crashed on me a third time, I had about 70 tabs open. Plus it sometimes freezes for 2 seconds when loading certain websites. I also noticed that it sometimes displays horizontal scrollbars (can't stand this), while Chrome does not. So it still needs to be improved.

18. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Mine ALWAYS freezes on start up (PS: I never open 70 tabs-not even 10), but discovered it's the add-ons loading up before showing the opening page screen. With puke little memory that takes some churning of circuitry to light up those add-ons which are many.

19. guest

guest Guest

20. anon

anon Registered Member

Vivaldi 2.2: Focus on details
    https://vivaldi.com/press/embargoed/vivaldi-2-2-focus-on-details/
    Edit:
    Changelog from 2.1 to 2.2:
    https://vivaldi.com/blog/vivaldi-update-focus-on-details/#pk_campaign=release-notes&pk_kwd=2.2
    ----------
    Vivaldi 2.2 released: navigation and customization improvements
    https://www.ghacks.net/2018/12/13/vivaldi-2-2-released-navigation-and-customization-improvements/

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  21. Rasheed187

I already figured out what probably is triggering these crashes. It crashed on me a 4th time, and it happened when I had about 50 tabs open and selected the "Bookmark All Open Pages" option, somehow Vivaldi can't deal with this. But I will now upgrade to Vivaldi 2.2, let's see what happens. I see it will now finally support session restore.

22. guest

guest Guest

23. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

24. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Minor update for Vivaldi 2.2

25. Rasheed187

I have some bad news, the freezing problem with Vivaldi seems to be getting worse. But I can't say for sure if it's a bug in Vivaldi, or that it's caused by some extension. But I'm guessing there's something wrong, because I never saw this in Vivaldi v1, so quite a bummer.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.