Former Opera CEO Launches Vivaldi, A New Browser For Power Users

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Why not use the "clear private data" function? Automatically cleaning the cache is not needed IMO, why do you need this? I just installed the newest CCleaner Free and don't see Vivaldi listed.

2. guest

guest Guest

By design each extension and each website = 1 process. If you have opened 10x tabs with youtube = 10 processes.

The amount of processes can be limited with the command-line option: "--process per site". After opening 10 tabs with youtube = 1 process instead of 10 processes.
    Save memory in Chrome by using one process per site

3. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Ah! Thanks Rasheed. I see clear private data - it's under Tools, not Settings. Missed that one before. No, I don't need automatic. That'll do.
    So you don't see Vivaldi in CCleaner's programs list, right? I don't.
    Do you see it in Start menu? I don't.

4. Rasheed187

Not good enough for me. With FF I have set a maximum of 4 processes. I'm sure the sandbox isn't as advanced as the one from Chrome, but who cares with Sandboxie taking care of security. :thumb:

I don't think it's supported yet.

5. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Rasheed, I know CCleaner does not yet support Vivaldi - though it sees google chrome cache when Analyzing.

My question is about list of programs in Ccleaner: tools > uninstall. Vivaldi is not on this list, nor in windows apps and features. So it doesn't exist :(
    I'm liking Vivaldi more and more even though it doesn't exist.

6. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Yes, I prefer manual updates as well. As for the amount of processes, mood already explained that. That is not in Sandboxie's scope. The part of the goals of the browser sandbox(and also SBIE's goal) is to isolate the browser from the rest of the system, so that if the browser is compromised, the rest of the system cannot be harmed. However, chromium's browser sandbox has also the goal of isolating sites and extensions from each other, so a vulnerability in an extension does not necessarily grant access to private information from you browsing session, or a compromised tab from one site cannot access information from another tab from a more private site.

7. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I didn't know about this command-line option.

Thanks!

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

10. Rasheed187

Yes I know, but for me the huge amount of child processes which results in high RAM usage is really unacceptable, it's total overkill. I have never had any security problems with single process browsers like Opera 12 and the old Firefox. The only thing I care about are stopping drive-by exploits, and those can be easily stopped by Sandboxie.

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

12. guest

guest Guest

With this approach Tabs (or: Websites / Extensions) are separated from each other and a crash of one tab doesn't lead to a crash of the whole browser
    = Increased Security and Increased Reliabilty

This can also be seen with Windows 10 CU/FCU. Instead of having "a few" svchost.exe-processes and each process is serving several services (sometimes up to 9 services), they are now separated.
    1x svchost.exe = 1x service. A takeover of one svchost.exe-process doesn't lead to a takeover of several services at once (and crashing of one svchost.exe-process doesn't lead to a crash of several services at once)
    Also in this case: "Increased Security and Increased Reliabilty"

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

14. Rasheed187

Yes, I know the idea behind it, I'm just saying that having a separate process for each tab and extension, causing a massive amount of RAM usage, is crazy to me. I will gladly take the risk of a bit less security and reliability. So unless Vivaldi implements an option to limit child processes like in hew FF 57, it's a no go for me. I use it only sometimes for specific sites.

15. guest

guest Guest

Yes, it consumes a lot of RAM but if sufficient free RAM is available, it shouldn't be not really an issue.
    Maybe i have found a solution, but it is less secure:
    Chromium Command Line Switches
    --single-process (Runs the renderer and plugins in the same process as the browser)

16. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

17. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

18. Rasheed187

Even with a lot of RAM, I still don't like it. But about the command-line, how should I start Vivaldi? I currently already use this, because I wanted to disable the sandbox, which makes it run more smoothly:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Vivaldi\Application\vivaldi.exe" --no-sandbox

19. guest

guest Guest

Just append it:
    Code:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Vivaldi\Application\vivaldi.exe" --no-sandbox --single-process

20. Rasheed187

Thanks. I tried it, but it doesn't work. Perhaps Vivaldi doesn't support it, it doesn't launch it all, also without disabling the sandbox.

21. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

22. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  23. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

24. Rasheed187

Thanks, I tried it and it also works with the "no sandbox" option. But what is it supposed to do, I suppose it should reduce RAM usage?

25. ance

ance formerly: fmon

Same blurry fonts as Google Chrome, Vivaldi should use Gecko engine. :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.