Former Opera CEO Launches Vivaldi, A New Browser For Power Users

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Lagavulin16

Lagavulin16 Registered Member

Can someone please chime in on the available "extensions" status? I've been out of the loop on this thread since, like, forever. Thnx!

2. wasgij6

wasgij6 Registered Member

Should work with most extensions in chrome web store

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

6. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Finally. I already thought it was strange this info was missing, especially when the browser is aimed at power users.

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

9. StillBorn

StillBorn Registered Member

The rapid updates and tedious attention to detail by the developers is nothing short of impressive to say the least. Recently I've taken this puppy out for a few walks with Sandboxie and there "appears" to be no conflicts. Downloaded this only a week ago so I've yet to experiment with bookmarks, the fancy tab options, etc. But from the recent exposure I've experienced I really dig this browser big time. Definitely pushing the envelope on intuitive menus, settings options, and a snappy response time. If memory serves, there may have been or still is a glitch with the "LastPass" extension. I've yet to venture any clarification/confirmation. But, yeah... so far, way to go Vivaldi for all the grunts and sweat in churning out a class act browser. There's another "Favorite Browsers" (or something very close to that effect) thread drifting around somewhere on this site showing a poll with nearly a two to one preference ratio respective to Vivaldi vs. Opera with Wilders posters. I'm also an Opera (Richard Strauss, anyone?) fan... but yeah, I can relate to the appeal. Rooting and cheering for this fine fledgling to gain momentum on Chrome and then some. :thumb:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Minor update to Vivaldi 1.12

11. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Yeah, it's a pretty good browser overall. BTW, I need to reinstall it, because an older version works better with Sandboxie. Do you know which files/folders I should back up to save my current profile with settings and bookmarks?

12. StillBorn

StillBorn Registered Member

@Rasheed187 I honestly wish I could advise you with back up matters in context. I've never experienced any glitches with loss of data via Chrome, Opera, and the recently added Vivaldi with the extended protection of Sandboxie. So, consequently, I've never ventured a defense measure to counter. And so it goes, an interesting question goes out to the masses and I'll follow up on any replies to Rasheed's query just in case.

13. Rasheed187

No problem, I did find some info about how to reset Vivaldi, but in the end I had to reinstall it completely. Simply restoring the bookmarks and extensions folder wasn't good enough, so I had to reconfigure everything. At the moment it seems to work correctly again.

https://help.vivaldi.com/article/full-reset-of-vivaldi/

14. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

On Windows 10-1703, I finally decided to try it since a bunch of things no longer work in Opera 12.18.
    Download was strange in that I had no option to get 64-bit. It downloaded 32-bit version. I installed it and works fine.
    I ran the installer as admin, for all users.
    It went into Program files(x86), that's ok, and data went into user/app data/local.
    BUT - I had to make a shortcut. AND it is invisible in Apps and Features and in the Windows menu in the start button.
    That seems totally wrong to me. How would I, for instance, uninstall it if Windows thinks it doesn't exist. CCleaner doesn't see it either. And it's missing from OpenWith context menu :(

What should I do now?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  15. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

16. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

The start of 1.13 stablization

17. BoerenkoolMetWorst

Since one of the new snapshots, when you close Vivaldi, one process(using 128K) remains running. Don't know if that is intentional or a bug.

18. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I've had this happen with Vivaldi on Windows; you close it down and when you try to open it again it won't launch. I discovered several processes were still running in Task Manager. Once I killed those it would open.

19. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Minor update to Vivaldi 1.12 – Crash fix

20. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

21. BoerenkoolMetWorst

I've had that a few times as well, but this was different. Everytime I closed Vivaldi it happened leaving only a single process running and Vivaldi would launch again without needing to kill the process. (Both cases were also on Windows.) However, it hasn't happened again since, probably a weird bug.

22. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Yeah, weird. I still think Vivaldi is very promising though. I first ran it on Linux three years ago.

23. BoerenkoolMetWorst

Indeed.

24. Rasheed187

What I hate about Chromium based browsers is that you can't disable auto-updating of extensions. And there is no ability to limit the amount of child processes (multi-process). That's the main reason why I can't make the switch from Firefox to Vivaldi.

25. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Is there a way to clean Vivaldi's enormous cache (other than by CCleaner)? In Opera 12 there always was a setting to clear cache on exit or at any time. I don't see any such option in Vivaldi 1.12.955.38 (Stable channel) (32-bit).
    Vivaldi still not visible in CCleaner nor in Start menu. See my earlier post #689. How can I uninstall it in the future to get a newer version or to ditch it?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.