Former Opera CEO Launches Vivaldi, A New Browser For Power Users

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Jan 27, 2015.

1. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

I installed vivaldi to take it for a test.
    need some clarification on a few points however.
    1.when i cleared my browsing data etc i am confronted by a chrome like settings page identical in every aspect except for a name change.So which settings are actually taking precedent here...?

2.vivaldi does not allow customisation of the actual interface,notably the ability to move icons arounds...i thought this was a browser which allowed numerous customisation and yet it fails to let the user move icons around.this appears to be a restriction just like chrome.

3.cpu and ram usage is quite high.

From what i can gather this is a browser sitting on top of chrome...why are chrome settings even in this browser.i use palemoon browser and i can pretty much achieve the same in palemoon as i could in vivaldi.

i dont like something being touted as "new" when in fact its piggy backing on chrome.i would sooner use chrome to be honest.

Thats my 2 cents worth for what its worth.

2. NWOAbschaum

NWOAbschaum Registered Member

Ur statemant is totaly wrong. it is not using chrome but chromium. there are different. and i used palemoon too. u can not do as much as vivaldi in any way with palemoon. i dont thing u found the options to change what u whant?

3. guest

guest Guest

Vivaldi v1.7.735.48 (stable) - (digitally signed: March 13, 2017)
    Download

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

9. pegas

pegas Registered Member

I ponder about the future of Vivaldi ... it is more than a year from its launch and I don't see any rapid growth of user base. When it was revealed to public the Vivaldi seemed to me quite an exciting project and I thought that after a year or so it could be the right time to give it a try. Unfortunately it turned out that I'm not any more keen to try it than I was last January. Even though they have been releasing new snapshots often, I'm not convinced that the project evolves in the right way. I dare to say that Opera has made far more significant strides than Vivaldi for the past year. Though I wish Vivaldi all the best.

Just my two cents.

10. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I'm not that negative, but I'm a bit annoyed that they still haven't managed to squash a couple of annoying bugs. I also think that the Opera team is doing a good job, but certain features that they added seem completely unnecessary. I was planning to switch to Vivaldi but at the moment I think the new Firefox is going to be the safer bet.

11. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Currently, what I miss from Vivaldi is a very good bookmark manager...

12. ABaird3

ABaird3 Registered Member

I fully agree, needs work done on bookmarks, to be good.

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Minor update to Vivaldi 1.8

14. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

15. Rasheed187

It's already quite close to the one from Opera 12, but you can currently only open it via the start-page, and it has a huge bug. Every time you open a bookmark, it will auto-scroll to the top of the bookmarks list. I can't believe that they still haven't fixed this.

Now that I think of it, they could generate more buzz, by focusing on privacy like Brave and Cliqz browser, that would give them a boost.

16. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

any chromium browser lacks a good library - firefox has best with comments and keywords.

for your issue, i dont use the manager often, i have "Bookmarkie" from chrome store. or install the old bookmark behavior, the red square -> opera store.

17. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

18. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

19. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

20. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

21. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

22. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

23. Rasheed187

I have checked out the latest version and to my surprise the annoying bug in the bookmarks manager has been fixed. I have to say that I became excited again, it's already pretty good. I think I just might switch to it (from Firefox) in the coming months. I like the fact that it doesn't seem to use a lot of CPU time anymore, and page loading is still pretty fast.

What I don't like is that you can "feel" new processes being loaded in the background, and you will also see the hourglass cursor when this happens. So it needs to be optimized a bit. You also can't auto-open new tabs when searching from the address-bar or if you choose "paste and go", I'm always surprised that developers can't seem to notice these small quirks.

24. pegas

pegas Registered Member

It's good you did notice the improvements. However Vivaldi is still pretty heavy and its core needs to be polished yet more. I cannot help myself but think that Opera handles Chromium engine far better. Having the former Opera developers on board I would expect much faster and effective development, imho.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  25. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Vivaldi 1.9 – Plant trees as you browse

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.