format question

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Dina, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dina

Dina Registered Member

hi guys. just would like to know if this is the right way of doing it.

I have:

1 hard drive, currently 3 partitions
    1 windows xp install cd
    1 windows xp snapshot
    1 vista snapshot
    no vista install disk

Im planning to repartition the hard drive, so I'd have one for the os, and one for data. so I'm going to

1 archive the snapshots to external media
    2 resize/format the partitions
    3 install xp
    4 install fdisr within the freshly installed xp
    5 restore the archived xp and vista snapshots

so basically my concern is, will the restored snapshots work on the reformatted/resized drive?

thank you.

2. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Yes, my experience is that this plan will work for XP installations. I'm not sure about the Vista snapshot though. I assume that you got your system with Vista and installed XP afterwards?

In case you need to move data to the new data partition afterwards, I suggest that you update your archives accordingly.

3. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

I would not reccomend it.

Whenever I tried to import a Vista snapshot on a partition that had XP or 2000 it always gave an error after the reboot.

Better to install/format with Vista, then import the XP snapshot and from the xp snapshot update from the vista archive your vista snapshot. ;)

Panagiotis

ps. why not use the partition manager of vista to resize your c/d partitions?
    http://www.vistarewired.com/2007/02/16/how-to-resize-a-partition-in-windows-vista
    http://www.vistarewired.com/2007/04...ows-vista-xp-when-disk-management-doesnt-work

4. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

That was my concern, after rereading my response.
    It sounds like the plan should be to first recover Vista from the recovery media (since no installation CD is available) and after that resize the system partition and install FD-ISR and XP snapshots.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.