Format problem

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Hezakiah, Jun 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Voila, my idea of zeroing my hdd, wasn't so bad after all and I use the manufacturer's Zero Tool to fill my hdd with zeroes and they told me, that my hdd is as good as new after running it.
    At SWI Forum, 3 years back, they already told me that Windows's format is not as good as zeroing a hdd.
    Peter's experience with the killdisk virus was also a good lesson to me, because killdisk didn't only corrupt his hdd, but also made his Recovery CD useless and that is very frightening, when you can't even restore a clean image, it kills your very last hope. As far as I remember, his Windows Installation CD didn't work either.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Did zeroing worked in his case? As far as I know he used BING to recover not a zer tool.

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

So that means we don,t need zeroing in routine practice while formatting but it,s good to do if you are having/ suspecting issues. Am i right?

4. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

I think you'd be better off doing a zero-fill and then a quick format within your OS installation than no zero-fill and then a full format within your OS installation. My logic behind this is that it's probably better to remap defective sectors before the OS installation routine even runs. Also, a zero-fill should ensure every sector is tested and zeroed.

5. ErikAlbert

I think he fixed his partitions with BING, because he didn't have a zero tool at that time. But a zero tool would have done the same job. Recovery CD's seem to have problems with restoring an image on a hdd with corrupted partitions.
    Personally I don't agree with this. A Recovery CD has to work also, if the hdd has corrupted partitions and that's what users expect from a Recovery CD. Only a physical damaged hdd is a good excuse for a Recovery CD not to do its job.
    The only thing a Recovery CD has to do is checking the hdd and fix it, before it starts restoring the hdd. How they do it I don't care, but a Recovery CD has to do its job in all circumstances, except physical damage.
    Users know that, developpers don't know and that's why so many softwares don't do what users need.

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Same here:

When either dubbing a workable but no longer interesting system or just prepping for a new install it's a quality decision to both delete the existing partition then zeroing it out, in my case i add two different wiping techniques to ensure a satisfactory wipe using two different wiping apparatus, White Canyon's Wipe Drive Pro & Paragon's Wipe Program "OR" the HD makers zero tool disc.

That way my XP Pro installs sail thru their routine instead of what used to consume many many minutes. Now i can walk to my parking lot, clean my vehicle windows, and on return a new XP system is at the ready.

Not to mention overruns enough leftover data written so that something doesn't happen to stick like gum in one of the sectors. I ran onto that before even after wiping, thats why i go double run with prepping a disk for a new install.

7. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Is there any benefit in deleting the partition, recreating and then formatting?

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1272624&postcount=11

:)

9. ErikAlbert

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Erik, Aigle is correct.

11. Peter2150

Killdisk virus/trojan, corrupts the partition table. You can use the Windows CD and Diskpart to delete the table. You can also use the ShadowProtect Recovery CD. But before you can restore you have to use the Partition Table editor and put all zero's in it.

You are confused about something else I did to the partition table with Disk Director.

Pete

12. ErikAlbert

I've read a different story from you about your very first contact with killdisk, but I'm not going to spend any time on searching that post. It's not that important. I have my solution already for killdisk. Killdisk is peanuts. Motherboard rootkits is another story

13. Peter2150

Erik, I've never had any encounter with Killdisk except under controlled test circumstance. If you read another story by me about that, I'd love to read it myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.