Format problem

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Hezakiah, Jun 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hezakiah

Hezakiah Registered Member

Sorry if this is the wrong place to put this. Today I formatted my computer and when I try to install some programs, IE: IncrediMail and also my newly purchased Rollback RX, an error pops up, "the installer has encountered a problem and needs to close". now I have tried fresh installers for both programs and restarted my rig many times with no luck. Also my windows XP SP2 is up to date. The problem started last night when I installed a certain antivirus beta. More info available on request. Anyone have any ideas? I'm ready to throw this computer through the wall. :mad: :'( o_O o_O

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

That's the risk you take installing beta software, there's really no telling what might happen or what it might do to some of your system. I don't know what to suggest, but perhaps someone else will..

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Crap,. yeah, Kerodo is right, betas are rarely a good idea. Hell, the last couple of days I've been trying out a HIPS program or two and my system goes loopy also. Though if you formatted the drive after getting rid of that antivirus the issues SHOULD have been cleared up. I don't what to tell you either, although I can tell you what I've learned the last couple of days: Don't ever install even simple things without making a system restore point first.

4. Hezakiah

I hear ya, though I did have Rollback RX installed, I could not even get on even while trying in safemode. o_O
    Also, I have reformatted this rig 3 times today.

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Zero your harddisk completely
    Install Windows and activate Windows
    Take an image with your Image Backup software, using the Recovery CD.
    Install your drivers.
    Take another image.

And then install the rest and nothing but legitimate softwares :
    First the non-internet softwares, try them if they work properly
    Take another image.
    Then the internet softwares, try them if they work properly.
    Take another image.
    Then the security softwares, try them if they work properly.
    Take another image.
    Then you might try RollbackRx.

Use all these images for restoration only.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  6. Hezakiah

Ok, will give it a try, thanks.

7. ErikAlbert

If you have any problems already during the first steps, you have probably a hardware problem.

8. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

A little of topic but restore points are not good enough in some cases.A couples of days ago I gave (AE) Anti Excutables a short trial while doing a whitelist scan, I got a blue screen of death on every boot even safe mode.only solution was a complete recovery from a good image.

9. ErikAlbert

I never depend on restore points and windows restore = off. I use ISR or IB to rollback to a previous state.

10. Dark Shadow

Same Here.:thumb:

11. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I understand, restore points can at least help and often enough they work. Unfortunately at this time I can't invest in imaging programs and the like. My money tree out back died :)

12. Dark Shadow

I agree,Most of the time they can save the day. In my case though,It would have done no good.

13. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

I agree will all Eriks posts above...I use the same software for image and ISR as Erik, but dw426 there are free alternatives.

14. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

It would be nice, right now I depend on System Restore and Returnil.

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

What is its benefit? Seems as you have added one extra thing in the format process without any true logic! Am i right?

16. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

Formatting does nothing to get rid of what could be causing your problem other than it prepares your HD with the proper file format for a reinstallation of your OS. Zeroing the Drive would be like putting in a brand new Drive for the 1st time minus the "brand new". You can download the free version of kill disk to zero out your drive http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm
    Zeroing the Drive would help to eliminate any sector write errors that you probably are getting from just reformatting over an existing install, you probably could of scanned you disk for errors with chkdsk, but then again you origianlly had RB RX so it may or may not of helped. I think zeroing will help unless the Drive is no good.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  17. ErikAlbert

Yes I think so too considering your wallet LOL. I hate money, it killed my ISR-software also.

18. ErikAlbert

No you are not right, it's logical to use it and I'm using this zero tool from the beginning.
    Each time, I replace my actual system with a clean updated system, I zero my harddisk first to remove any possible low level change caused by malware on my harddisk and then I restore my clean image.
    I admit, it's a non-classical procedure, but I don't agree with many classical procedures. I want to break new grounds and I hate traditions. :rolleyes:

19. Dark Shadow

Ah great knowledge thanks.To be all honest, I have never heard of doing this before.I always had great success with 4matts but this way of zero out sounds like a great way to get a nice clean fresh OS.

20. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ok, think of it. I scan my HD with chkdsk, no errors and no bad sectors on my HD. And it,s the actual state of my HD infact. Now what is the practical benefit of zeroing my HD( ignore the fancy words of clean/ brand new etc :D )?

21. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I hope you are not presenting ur practice as an evidence in favour of zeroing the HD.
    Any examples of such malware which will survive a format and reinstall of OS?
    I love new groungs too but I don,t hate traditions. I like traditions which are good, i hate the traditions which are bad and I am neutral to the traditions which are neither good nor bad. :D

22. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

In your case probably none, can't say the same for Hezakiah. The fancy words as you put it, clean and brand new was used as an example of how the state of the drive would be after the zeroing.

A bit hard to not notice the cynicism in the above quote and your questions to ErikAlbert. Not sure of your level of awareness in Life so enjoy....you only know what you allow yourself to know.....but ultimately, you only know what they allow..........

23. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

my experience with RP are the least reliable of all windose modules,it really sucks.
    Or you like gambling ! :)

Many moons ago i turned it off.

24. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hmmm.... I never intended like that. Sorry for that. :'(

As far as my knowledge is concerned I know very little indeed but my problem is that i just can,t believe without any reference/ evidence etc.

As far as Eric is concerned, let me guess that it seems just his practice to zero the HD rather than a true recommendation from a knoweledge source. If it,s reverse, I am interested to know really. :) I havn,t rejected his practice indeed. I just want to know if it is really something recommended or not.

25. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

From Low-Level Format, Zero-Fill and Diagnostic Utilities:

Since pending bad sector remapping is done only on disk writes (not reads) to a sector, writing to every sector on a hard disk, for example by zero-filling, does have advantages.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.