Fork or original.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by The Red Moon, Jan 23, 2017.

1. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Im currently using palemoon as my main browser,Yes it is a fork of firefox and even though it runs just fine i have niggles in regard to security and the location of servers etc.
    Palemoon is a one-man band with no address etc so is using this browser a good idea.?

What are wilders members view on using forks instead of the original browser.
    Thanks.

2. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

i stick with firefox - because it original and it has future developement - either i like it or not.
    not sure if palemoon will get webextensions but the xul develeopment is a dying concept and mozilla wont maintain it after 2017. for now some xul-extensions are already not compatible to palemoon.

if you want more facts about palemoon you should read in their forum
    https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?t=12216

hm, not sure if palemoon threads are welcome here...

reading that thread about future - if some want to stick with the current xul-extension system some should use palemoon. if not - go firefox.
    not sure about plugins - mozilla is going to drop NPAPI 2017 - no flash, no java, nothing.

AFAIR they are harvesting the AMO site to backup all current extensions.

HTH

3. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

yes i have read the forum thread and thank you for your input.i also notice on that forum many issues with media and website compatibilities.

4. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

I'm running Cyberfox, a Mozilla fork with a rapid update release cycle.

A very capable browser and I don't even launch FF to browse the world wide web.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.