Forced AV usage?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by The_Duality, Aug 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MysteriousWorlds

MysteriousWorlds Registered Member

Just a dumb question. Wouldn't it be possible for him to connect to the student network using MS Virtual PC with his OS and a trial version of Sophos AV "installed" inside? :)

2. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

If you want to use what they offer then you are morally and legally obligated to follow their rules regarding the use. The university has a right and a duty to make rules that they believe protect their interest and the students.

Play by their rules or do not play on their turf, because you cannot change them. You might be able to talk to those in charge of security, and provide good information, but in the end it is their decision and anyone who uses their systems must abide by those decisions.
    It is that way in life. Change what you believe you should and if you cannot change them then decide if you want to go there or somewhere else.

Consider in "matters of principles" there are some things that one might complain about, some that one might quit the job for, and some that one will die for. But every one is not worth "falling on your sword" for. This is one of those.

Regards,
    Jerry

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Never but most universities in Bulgaria do the same . As far as I know it is the same all over Europe , all over the world . They define their own conditions .

At least I am relaxed because my (favourite) Technical Univerisity uses NOD32 EE and they want students use it to connect to their network :)

Although it is somehow unfair for you because you should decide your computer and you have paid for licenses , I agree with Jerry . Unless there is such a policy ITs there will lose control over the situation . I know the ex-IT managers in the above mentioned University here , some years ago they had no such policy and they had to reinstall computers (Windows) almost weekly due to viruses and mostly spyware/adware (you know 2003/2004) . They have no time to sit and fight malware for some hours (and don't forget that some people also don't have the knowledge to fully cure the machines) unless there is some policy to prevent and really limit accidents .

4. The_Duality

The_Duality Registered Member

I guess I am slightly over-reacting about it. It is their network, and my use of it is a privelidge - not a right. Sophos may not be all that bad :p and they do let me use Kaspersky of course :)

The whole uni experience is going to be very different indeed :doubt:

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

University life is the first introduction to many as to the way the real world operates. Rules rules and more rules and a lot of responsibility. But it is designed to give you an education and a head start in the ways to survive in the dog eat dog world. But it is a real blast and can be a lot of fun. Good luck on the experience, I hope it is a great time in your life. Wish I could do it again :thumb:

bigc

6. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Use their AV.

Find something real to worry about. Life is full of stuff like this.

Too bad you spent a couple of bucks on a different AV, but that is nothing compared to what getting an education costs.

7. ola nordmann

ola nordmann Registered Member

This sounds like a strange university, well to be more precise it's probably the IT management that has a screw loose :p

The big questin is - what about running other OSes on your computer, like GNU/Linux, MacOS, *BSD etc.?

Are they not allowed on campus? Personally I would say a Linux or Solaris box is far safer than a Windows box with AVG :D

8. cheber

cheber Registered Member

Hmm, shouldn't there be a check for LUA usage?

9. noons

noons Registered Member

Pretty sure this is easily bypassed as I do it at my school. They verify with cisco clean access and a web portal like yours. Start your network browsing using firefox and add the user agent plugin. Then create a dummy os or linux one and use it to sign into the site. The only problem is that it might also check your packets (mine does) So to bypass this go to dslreports and get drtcp. Tweak your connection and make sure the receive window is different from the default and turn on timestamping. This will disguise what operating system you are using!:ninja: P.S most dont require antivirus when using linux which is why disguising your os is a good thing.

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

And if they do catch you......

Just far easier to play by the rules and be done with it.

11. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

Tell them they are infringing your human rights by not allowing you to choose which software you have installed on your PC(lol)
    If the guy who stabbed the headmaster can be protected via this legislation you should be too!
    I can understand them enforcing a "got to have an AV installed" policy,but this smells of someone getting a backhander!

12. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Would a good anti-malware application such as SAS, AVG or A-squared add to security and give more confidence?
    Especially if I did not like the AV I would do something like that or Online Armor if permitted, and I don't know why it would not be.
    Best,
    Jerry

13. QuestionX

QuestionX Registered Member

:) Sounds like this would make a great Term paper.l. and by that time U will have learned the system..The Profess-ORs will be impressed..then blogg and maybe U can make changes..Thats what Edu-cation is all about..Go in under the rules, come out with new ones..Have fun..:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.