For those who can't wait for Cyberfox or Waterfox

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Cimmerian, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bodhitree

Bodhitree Registered Member

Had to ditch it, a couple websites I use a lot glitched out in this browser. Back to Chromium. Had to dump Opera against last night, I got 1-2 flash crashes after a few hours of use.

Ugh. It even failed on Amazon.com... That's with EVERYTHING disabled.. (Admuncher, etc.. Still same issue, even clearing caches)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  2. Bodhitree

3. Cimmerian

Cimmerian Registered Member

Hmm, I would have to say that Palemoon or Waterfox started off when some Dick or Tom played with & tweaked some code, then threw them on a forum. You have to start somewhere, and things will either work out or not work out. How many programs of all types do you see talked about, and then used, on this forum, just because one person tried it, and then posted their thoughts about it?

4. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I'm not sure I'd use either of those two as success stories. Actually, I don't see that many unknown programs being talked about after one person tried it here. I mostly see back and forth arguments over which known program is best :D I get your point, but I'm not usually going to trust some guy's homegrown browser fork just because it's a 64 bit build I can't get from Papa Mozilla.

Edit: Though I'm willing to give CyberFox a go on a test box, am I the only one that gets sick of this "Only registered users can see this link" crap? If you want the public to give your project a go, don't lock it behind some unknown forum's registration. At least I found a SourceForge link.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  5. Cimmerian

I absolutely agree with you about the "registered user link" garbage. If the SourceForge link wasn't available, I never would have tried Cyberfox at all..

6. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I tried it out. It's not really any more special than the "unofficial" 64 bit builds from Mozilla itself. I was shocked to see the thing had imported all my bookmarks from Chrome without me telling it to. Like every other browser I've tried, both 32 and 64, speed depends entirely on how much crap is on a website. Some sites loaded in a blink, some like Wired.com took their sweet time. I'm coming to the conclusion that we no longer need to keep trying to speed up browsers, but trying to get websites to not pile so much s**t on their pages or at least code better.

7. Bodhitree

Yeah no kidding, I am not registering at some obnoxious tweaker forum to get some links. I think it is very arrogant.. Nevertheless, Cyberfox is nothing special, and it's been uninstalled, I saw no point in it.

8. Quickfix

Quickfix Registered Member

Hi All :)

Being a new member here having run across this site in a google search while looking up information about this new x64 browser I have just become a new user of and seeing these postings I have a few questions here about the postings I see.

I just started using cyberfox as a testing with it's 17 version and have now made it my main browser as of version 18 but I question some of the comments I see here.

The First would be the people complaining of having to register at the site offering Cyberfox I am not sure why I see people calling this amature to do since I had to register here to post comments myself, don't most sites where you go to get stuff make you register first 99% do that is for sure but the also have the freely visable download links on sourceforge.net as is where I first found the app. So since you have to do the same here to comment why would there be bashing of having to do that.

I also saw comments in reference to the Cyberfox site being a hack forum did anyone bother to even check the site I registered there yesterday and they are a windows customize forum doing themes and such for windows, not a pirate windows os site like most would be they offer many things there I found a wonderful cyber fox theme made for windows that goes right along with the browser they made the site in fact is very nice in what it offers.

Another few posts mention the icon is amature they use for the browser how is that anymore amature then having a globe with a fox on it they have replaced the fox with a robot looking type of image that I think matches quite well with the browsers name Cyberfox what's the difference between having a fox and a globe then having a robot with a globe I am not sure how that makes it amature by comparison.

The main reason I felt the need to post here though had to be the comments I read about how the browser was not any faster then a 32 bit version. This shows that with all the bashing of this new browser people don't even know what an x64 browser is for it's not ment to be a 100 times faster version of firefox the purpose of an x64 browser is the ability for people to use more ram off their system 4 gigs or more when using 64 bit as most should know the main reason for using an x64 operating system to when you have 4 gigs or more of ram. Lot's of people including myself have hundreds of tabs open at a time due to the jobs we do and need a browser that can handle the load which is exactly what an x64 system is for.

Being a new user to this browser I find the comments of this site to be quite hypocritical in nature, considering the comments I have seen here and now being a fan of this browser felt compelled to post here. I will also offer that from what I have seen these people at this Cyberfox forum are very helpful the creator of this browser responds to each question and or bug personally and works them out quickly as well. I would have to say that people here need to have an understanding what an x64 browsers purpose is designed for before they go around bashing it I am a big fan of this so called new kid on the block and I hope they keep up the great work over there.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  9. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Hi there, Quickfix, welcome to Wilders :) Let me try to go over your points one by one.

1. Registration. This has more to do with reputation than anything else. Wilders is full of "1 percenters". They care far more than the average person about security issues and trust. Many of them are not the type to just sign up to random, relatively unknown websites period, let alone to try some guy's latest, personally tweaked version of a major browser.

2. The website itself. Again, it boils down to reputation. Plus, just because they work with innocent ideas like themes and customs, doesn't mean those ideas are used innocently. These "custom tweaks" might cause stability issues, they may be malware in disguise. Just because forum posters there say all is well and praise something, doesn't mean anyone else can trust what is said..and that goes for a very trusted website like Wilders too.

3. Icons. It's not really even worth bothering to argue over that point. It's pure preference, nothing more, nothing less.

4. Browser speed. Well, this one is a bit complicated as a lot of things come into play. First, most of us realize the difference between x64 and x32. Just because an x64 browser is optimized to have better performance on an x64 system, doesn't mean it will have better performance. That's up to the person doing the coding and tweaking. If they suck at it, x64 is just a title. Also, websites and how they are designed/coded comes into play in regards to speed. The junkier and heavy the website, the slower all browsers can end up being, x64 or not. It also depends on other software you have running, especially security software.

Don't take things as an attack...and don't sign up to a new website as a new member and attack it and its members right off the bat either ;) Otherwise some of us are liable to introduce the old saying "Pot, meet kettle" to you :D

10. Quickfix

Thanks Mman79 :)

I did not mean for things to come out as if I was attacking people I just found the comments to be pretty harsh towards this browser and a site which I find to be quite nice myself.

As you say most things come under a personal preference of course what I like may not be what others like but to go as far as calling something amature because it's not your taste I guess I took that as a bit of a slap towards ppl with a taste like myself that liked the icon they use or so forth lol

Also understanding about applications or other things to instal for your computer where anything can have maleware in them to cause issues, it was just the way I found the site described here as like a hack site or one of those windows pirate os sites. I have viewed over the whole site the day I registered and I just wanted to point out they did customize work theresuch as themes wallpapers and stuff of that nature, not offering things such as cracked apps or illegal ways to do this or that to windows which seemed to be the overall way some were looking at the place, I have spoken to the Cyberfox creator on that site personally in private messages there about a few questions I had. He was very friendly and helpful to me as were the other mods and Admins of that site for the questions I asked. So I just wanted to point out that give them a try first before thinking they are some offending maleware or cracked apps type of fourm.

Thanks again for your reply I am finding a lot of interesting things on this forum as well glad I found it :)

11. Bodhitree

I sense Cyberfox developer has arrived. :D :D

Anyway, I think the issue is the vast majority of us do not register to download, because logically it means more spam in most cases. So we find alternate locations to download. But who wants to be a member of 1000 different forums just to download stuff to try? Nobody. Think about that. I am sure it is about drumming up membership count on the forum, but really all it does is hurt the spread of the product IMO.

I think the black robot icon is really ugly, but others seem to agree. There are tons of professional icons out there to use that would enhance it. Marketing is everything. Toss Cyberfox on a CLEAN professional website, with a direct download link, and a nice professional icon, and it might get some traction.

Anyway its not a bad browser, but I see no compelling reason to use it. If you made the speed dial like operas, then I would not only use it, I would send you handfuls of money to keep you improving it. Until then, I really don't have a need for another Firefox, since I don't even like Firefox much anymore.

12. Cimmerian

@ Quickfix, first of all, as Mman79 said, welcome to Wilders. As one of the members involved in this threads discussion, I felt the need to clarify one of the points you brought up, involving the Cyberfox forum registration. We weren't implying that it was amateur to have to register. What we were saying is that it's kind of ridiculous to register just so you can grab a download link at the forum, when you can freely download Cyberfox at SourceForge. Otherwise, we all fully expect to register in order to use a forum. As far as Cyberfox's developer goes, I've mentioned in a couple of threads here on Wilders, that he seems to be quite responsive to any issues brought to his attention. I'm replying to this while using Cyberfox, which I like very much. And I kind of like the program icon..

13. Quickfix

See this is what I find funny with most sites cause I disagree with what you say all of a sudden I am a Cyberfox developer when I have nothing to do with the project.

What you find ugly many others find nice and different and having spoke with the creator of the app he has no intentions to make it a huge deal although I believe he should based on the work he has done.

He told me his main reason for creating the browser was that one of the admins of that site among others were having a lot of issues with waterfox and could get 0 support or bug fixes for it. Knowing the Cyberfox creator had some background in programming asked if he would try and dable into creating an x64 browser.

When I asked if he was going to be promoting it more so then he is now he replied that it's just a pet project for their site that he happens to be a moderator of and feels quite comfortable just posting there and having his support pages at what he considers his home site.

Which is quite refreshing to say the least someone doing a project as a favor to friends and not interested in hype or notoriety just happy with what he is doing. I was more endeared with the project after speaking with him.

I will say this much that an icon is very easy to change takes a whole 2 seconds to do if u wanted a different one and the fact as u say u need CLEAN professional website, that's more important to you then having a quality app with good support and works how it is supposed to well makes me laugh honestly.

14. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

So I'm into Cybf for a longer haul this time. I've finally have Sandboxie allowing direct access to its profile, which bye the way, is merely 100% Ff's profile. Despite that, had to tinker with Sb to get bookmarks, cookies, etc. saved between sessions. Admittedly, rarely have many tabs open at one time so probably not going to notice any performance difference from x32.

15. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

16. Cimmerian

I saw that when I first searched for Cyberfox, after hearing about it. Time will tell, but I think you're correct.

17. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Just installed Cyberfox 18 and so far it's working fine. Regarding the icon I can't quite make out what the image is...?

18. Cimmerian

A robot belted to the Earth, to my eyes..

19. Victek

Victek Registered Member

20. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

The installer issue was fixed by the developer and the new version installed without an issue. Its also the first time an X64 Mozilla build update beat Firefox in a prior installation! :D

21. Victek

Victek Registered Member

22. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

That was fast! The Waterfox installer uninstalled the old version and set up the new version in its place so its not necessary to uninstall your existing Waterfox first. Another X64 build that's come out ahead of Firefox! :D

23. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Yes, nice to see Waterfox back in the running. I'm not aware of any practical differences with Cyberfox - I wonder if there are any ? :)

24. Cimmerian

Was just reading the Waterfox announcement on page 1 of its forum. Noticed a thank you from Mr Alex to Moon Child, Pale Moon's developer, for a tip that helped fix a jumplist issue. Nice to see some camaraderie among developers.

25. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Yeah it is. They don't really need to compete anyway, plus, what with Mozilla being a bit rude with the whole "We'll keep sending out x64 builds, but don't expect us to help you" thing, they're really playing for the same team.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.