For daily use, do you prefer to run as Administrator or Standard user?

Discussion in 'polls' started by WildByDesign, Jan 4, 2015.

?

For daily use, do you prefer to run as Administrator or Standard user?

1. Administrator Account

91 vote(s)
    71.7%
  2. Standard User Account

32 vote(s)
    25.2%
  3. Other (comment below)

4 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I've been running 2 Win 10 machines on SUA and UAC maxed out lately with excellent results in terms of usability. All programs work perfectly (unlike what I experienced with XP and Vista), and switching from SUA to Admin is very fast indeed if needed. I'm not a gamer nor I install programs on a regular basis therefore I feel as others pointed out, I have enabled a very important security layer built into the OS...

2. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

Is it possible to change my vote?

3. guest

guest Guest

In this poll voters aren't allowed to change their vote.
    It depends on the following option before a poll is created: "[ ] Allow voters to change their vote"

4. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

Same here :p

5. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Well, since my first post a lot has changed and now I use Standard User Account :)
    I don't install software much (I also prefer to use VMs for that) so using SUA is not too inconvenient to me.

6. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

SUA, of course. I must admit that I don't understand how more than 70% of the members participating here - in a forum which is focused on security - use an admin account. Granted, on Windows XP this had been a problem. I don't know about Vista as I had never used that - but since Windows 7 running a SUA for daily use has not been a problem at all for me. I cannot imagine that more 70% of the members here are always running software that requires admin rights (and if so - do they really have to start it multiple times a day? :confused: ) . And if someone in another thread here writes that he's getting a UAC prompt every time he starts the Task Manager or the Process Explorer - the only explanation for me is that some intrusive 3rd-party tool must have changed some settings as this doesn't happen to me.

Running your computer as admin and putting your trust on more or less questionable 3rd party tools is one of the biggest security threat for Windows users.

7. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Since I started using Windows 7 I have been using as default the Admin account and not once have I ever been infected or compromised. Sure, I can see the potential risk but for me it is so small as being negligible, but each to their own.

8. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

So is the inconvenience of using a SUA ;)

9. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Yep, and as I said, "each to their own".

10. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

In my case, I do run software than needs Admin rights, multiple times a day. As well as that, I regularly install (and uninstall) a lot of software. In the past month I've installed or updated forty programs, and that's not counting software that I have tried and then uninstalled.

I know that my computer would be more secure if used both SUA and Admin accounts. But, I'm certainly not prepared to secure my system at the expense of usability. I don't feel I need to use SUA to keep my computer secure. I'm not click happy and I keep Windows and vulnerable software updated. I know from many years of experience, that just by doing this, it is highly unlikely my system will be infected. If it ever does get infected, I've got backups to restore from.
    In my opinion the biggest threats are being click happy and opening random files (e.g. opening a questionable email attachment, which turns to be ransomware) and not keeping your system updated. I don't put my trust in any security software. I rely on my judgement and keeping my system updated to keep my computer safe. The antivirus software is just a backup measure.

11. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

You already know my point of view. Of course SUA is recommended and sounds good in theory, but for some of us it's not that great in practice. For some of us, it would make life harder while gaining only a limited amount of extra security. BTW, the latest WannaCry attack is a perfect example of how security tools would have tackled this, while SUA would not have helped. Also, I thought I had already explained that tools like Process Explorer and System Explorer need admin rights in order to fully function, and yes I do run PE at least 3 to 5 times a day.

12. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

I run as local admin but for the others in my house, I have them setup as SUA.

13. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

I think a LUA with a password would have helped with Wanna Cry from what I've read about the infection mechanism. Especially if execution was disabled in the Users folder. A LUA is standard security and has been since the days Unix was the main business OS. It is only sloppily coded Windows software that made it difficult to use and that has changed lately with most software not doing things like putting the configuration files in the Progam Files folder. When you look at security that actually works in any system, it almost always uses some form of ACL and controlling privilege. Otherwise, you have to use bloated security products that can both degrade performance and have security issues in themselves.

14. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Administrator! I'm the sole user requiring instant access to various Windows functions. Elimination of networking, sharing, remote access, limiting software traffic on machine all make running with elevated Administrator privileges justifiable--to me at least. Plus, it's convenient for a solo user.

15. boredog

boredog Registered Member

ADMIN here too. sole user.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.