Following a bungled Prevx uninstall I have had troubles...

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by AxelGerner, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AxelGerner

AxelGerner Registered Member

Has this issue been touched on already? Couldn't find it in the help file, but that's probably not surprising.
    Anyway, I had some slowdowns with the free version of prevx and wanted to try and uninstall one at a time the latest additions to my system to figure out what didn't play well.
    I used the unistall tab from the start menu>programs>prevx3.0, and without hardly any pause (fraction of a second) it returned with "uninstall will complete at next reboot" or something to that effect. But when I tried to boot, it froze. And every time after that too.
    Needless to say I had some trouble getting my system back to working order. System restore was no help, but eventually I managed to gain some semblance of normality, but for example Avast is no longer able to run on my system. It becomes disabled at reboot. Very strange.
    So, I wonder if anybody knows what hit me? And how can I fix it? Would it help to reinstall prevx and uninstall it with the uninstaller?
    What damage could have been done?

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

assuming no malware; What OS? did you try reinstalling Avast? did you check event viewer logs for errors? What did you do to restore normality?

3. AxelGerner

No malware. At least nothing prevx or avast found.
    I had serious problems with the machine, safemode worked ok, but system restore points were missing except for previous day, and that didn't help either.
    I eventually had to hit it with an old registry backup and reapplied SP3. Now at least I have it running so well that I can go online.

4. pegr

pegr Registered Member

5. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Hello,
    Very sorry to hear about your setup issues. If you would be interested, we can "walk" Prevx through a reinstallation - i.e. via remote support, we can watch the Prevx installation as it runs, monitor it during the reboot, and see how it performs from there.

If you'd be interested in this, please let me know and we can schedule a time. We're definitely keen to get this corrected and get your PC running into a position to where this won't occur again.

Sorry again for the inconvenience but please let me know if you need anything else or what your decision is with the remote support.

6. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

7. AxelGerner

Call me paranoid, but I prefer to avoid remote access to my machines.
    If your installer makes a log, or can be made to make one, then I can give you that.
    What I'm wondering about is this: I pulled prevx and all associated files with system mechanic, then put in the registry backup and SP3 because some windows functionality was missing. Someone suggested I might have triggered some prevx tampering countermeasure, potentially damaged my MBR and other important parts of my OS. Something definitely seems to be different now, but it's hard to be certain. Does unconventionally uninstalling prevx cause damage by design? If it does I'd like to know what to restore, and how.

8. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Manually uninstalling Prevx could potentially cause problems. Prevx installs a number of different filters into the operating system which need to be removed through the uninstaller directly and because of the self protection within Prevx, the uninstall must be used to accurately remove the components. However, Prevx doesn't have any "countermeasures" against tampering that would have affected your MBR/other areas, it just requires proper uninstallation to allow it to be accurately removed.

If you try reinstalling Prevx and then uninstalling it again, that should clear everything down, but let me know if any strangeness persists and I'll investigate further!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.