Folding phones: the future of the smartphone, or just another fad?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by ZMsiXone, Sep 3, 2018.

1. ZMsiXone

ZMsiXone Registered Member

https://www.techradar.com/news/folding-phones-the-future-of-the-smartphone-or-just-another-fad

2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Been chomping at the bits for anything resembling a clamshell again. Best carry-about phone I ever owned. Mine was a Motorola E-815 some years ago that was left behind in a truckstop. Never seen it again. However I always held on to my Verizon branded flip (also Motorola) which was fashioned to Star Trek's communicator form, complete with a very sweet see-thru transparent flip lid. Extremely compact and simple. Even entertained the thought of finding a phone geek who might could squeeze an android of some sort into the housing but is only wishful thinking. :)

Teens and most folks will no doubt have a fit even on this idea of slide-out but as long as those vendors produce one clamshell again and done is fine with some of us more portable types.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  3. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

I still carry a folder :)

4. XenMan

XenMan Registered Member

Loved folders, but my Motorolas always just stopped charging after a year of so.

I'm just a sad old man like the rest of you...

5. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

I've replaced the battery in my old LG VX8600 twice :) It still works just fine.

Edit: And the keys are large, and illuminated :)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  6. kls490

kls490 Registered Member

Same here. Kept my Motorola clam-shell phone (originally from Alltel), then with Verizon until about 5 years ago, at which time I acquired my current Samsung Convoy flip phone (It's the first model of the Convoy lineup. I believe the latest model now is the Convoy 4).

At my age, I don't really have any need/use for some smartphone - just a simple, flip-style mobile phone.

Cheers!:thumb:

7. noway

noway Registered Member

I have 2 Samsung Rugby flip phones, one for my wife and one for me. I don't need any smart stuff tracking me all over the country.

8. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I remember my Motorola v195/197 & e815. And I had a very small old Siemens small candybar phone with orange lighting. I really liked the form & lighting of that Siemens. Oh & both my glovebox phones are folders.

9. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I've always had issues with Motorola phones. Here in Australia, unlike in the US, very few people owned flip phones. However, I had a few flip phones, when I lived in the US.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.