Flaw in OS X Lion allows unauthorized password changes

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by PJC, Sep 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

2. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Cracking OS X Lion Passwords - Defence in Depth

3. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Read about this a few days ago. Pretty silly.

4. Hungry Man

OSX makes absolutely 0 effort to protect the computer from someone who hsa physical access to it.

"you've always had the option of changing the password when you boot from the os disk. it's an option right in the menu. as long as you have the original system disks, you can always change your password.

in lion, the system discs are replace by the recovery partition, and though the "reset password" option is gone from the menu, you can simply type "resetpassword" in terminal to bring it up."

5. x942

x942 Guest

True true. and Firmware password would help but this is another reason to encrypt the HDD/SDD. I mean even if it's just the built in filevault, it's better than nothing.

6. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Yet I heard of so many "computer experts" using it. Maybe they like to hack their own OS.

7. Hungry Man

Won't help much with hacking. You'd have to be right at the computer to use this.

8. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Not according to the Sophos article.

Or, am I misunderstanding something?

9. sslaza

sslaza Registered Member

Kinda. Let's see - If you are "already logged in" then presumably you know the password. huh?

Typically password change programs force you to re-authenticate, to prevent physical access issues - to ensure that the person changing the password is really the person logged in.

To use this, the example proof of concept given is someone who first willingly executes a java applet which is a trojan, giving some random remote person full shell access - then this flaw is used to change the password, or better yet, to steal hashes.

So this is not a good thing, but really IMHO not really remotely exploitable, unless paired with another vulnerability.
    :)

10. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

WTF? What does that have to do with anything?

It's not about the user knowing the password to log in. Obviously, if I own my system, I know the bloody password. It's rather about someone else, even remotely, being able to modify the password, without having to know the former password. So, in other words, there's no reauthentication, at all.

Not the case. You don't have to know the former password to change it. That's the issue.

Interesting first post, anyway. ;)

Please, read what other users provided, like the links. I suppose you didn't, because if you did, then you wouldn't post what you posted.

-edit-

I'll quote again a paragraph from Sophos article.

No need to know the existing password, according to this. Unless you can prove them all wrong, of course.

11. x942

x942 Guest

It does beg the question. Why the hell would I let someone connect via RDP/VNC/SSH? If I let someone on via one of these I am pretty much SOL anyways. The First too I would have to go out of my way to install/activate the second is off by default.

Those are all disabled on my system. (Firewall is set to block everything but necessary protocols)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.