Flash player in Sandboxie

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by mick92z, Feb 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

you remind me something - plugin-container can be disabled in firefox itself - ofc its a firefox program, not from windows. plugin-container was developed to avoid firefox crashes when plugin (any) crashes (similar to chrome instance with flash).

concerning firewall - short test - you are right - although plugin-container wants internet access some times and only flash is running on that sites. strange. (protectedmode=0 in mms.cfg)

anyway - flash is working inside sandboxie. i wont argue against you if it wont be. in front of users computer i would have the chance to determine the troublemaker.

2. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

3. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

I dont think that those issue concern the usage in sandboxie.

1st is concerning D2D Hardware Accelleration
    2nd concerns Adroid.
    3rd is no Flash.

But IMO thats offtopic here.

4. bo elam

You might be right but my problem with PM in W7 and plugin container in XP, only happen when running Firefox in the sandbox.

For me, is no big deal, disabling them in order to comfortably watch videos in YouTube but I do understand where you coming from when you don't approve or recommend disabling them. I agree with you, it is safer not to disable them and would prefer not to do it.

Bo

5. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

The issues I have encountered with protected mode in Sandboxie is severe stuttering whenever GUI elements of the video were fading in and out, by mouse-over for example.

6. bo elam

Even though the symptoms of my PM/SBIE issue are different than yours, I can almost guarantee that your problem will go away if you disable PM.

Bo

7. FleischmannTV

I know they do, because I've already tested that.

8. bo elam

If you are like me and run Firefox sandboxed 100% of the time (excluding when doing an update), I would disable PM. Thats the only workaround that I have to do for Sandboxie in both of my computers. For all I do in the sandbox (just about everything that I do in the PC), its really nothing.

Bo

9. FleischmannTV

The only problem with that solution is that protected mode will be disabled system wide. Hence you have to run everything with the ability to run flash in Sandboxie, not just Firefox, to compensate that.

10. bo elam

In my case, I only use Flash in Firefox. If any other program that I use needed the Flash plugin, I would run it sandboxed. For me, disabling PM and running programs sandboxed is a no brainer. I cant believe a month has gone by and you haven't decided on whats best for you.

Bo

11. FleischmannTV

It's hard to know that in advance. Neither is every program going to consult you personally when it's going to load a plugin, nor is every program compatible with Sandboxie. Hence disabling Protected Mode can actually be quite dangerous, especially for novice users. That's why I would be hesitant to just generally advise that without a big "Caution!".

How do you know what I've been doing? I have just recently learned about the dangers of disabling Protected Mode and thought it needed mentioning. That doesn't mean I have been pondering whether to run Flash in Protected Mode or not in a sandboxed Firefox for a month...

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  12. bo elam

I run sandboxed just about every program that I use every day. Of these programs, notepad is the only program that I don't force and even that one, if I download a text file from the internet, I ll run it sandboxed. I only allow Flash to run in the sandboxes where I run Firefox and I have never been warned by SBIE about Flash asking to run in any other sandbox.

The only program that I used in the past that required Flash other than a browser was a program that used internet explorer Flash to display some charts. I never cared about those charts so I didn't install flash for IE just to view the charts.

Bo

13. FleischmannTV

That's not what I meant.

Not every user is like you. Some are just getting into this, don't know what's going, don't sandbox everything. They disable ProtectedMode to run Firefox in Sandboxie without issues, but some document viewer they use is incompatible with Sandboxie, or they don't run it sandboxed yet, but some document has embedded flash in it. They are oblivious to the fact this program will run completely unrestricted flash. Or they give up on Sandboxie and forget to re-enable Protected Mode. Then they have unrestricted Flash in their browser and all other programs.

It is dangerous advice and you have to be exactly aware of what you are doing and the potential ramifications.

14. bo elam

FleischmannTV, I don't know what to tell you. I mean, you are worrying about something that doesn't even affect you. In my case, I know Firefox is the only program that I have that uses the plugin, I also know that my flash works 100 times better sandboxed when I disable it. For me, the decision on what to do is easy.

Perhaps, for you personally, use Chrome for flash content. And don't recommend disabling PM since you feel is bad to do so. Personally, I don't feel that way, just my opinion. In many cases, even people that dont use SBIE have to disable PM.

Bo

15. FleischmannTV

Other people who are thinking about disabling Protected Mode might read this thread and they should at least be aware about the potential ramifications.

This was never about what I was doing personally.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  16. bo elam

Its obvious to me that PM and SBIE V4 have some sort of conflict in many peoples computers but not in everyone's. Perhaps it would be best if Sandboxie disables Flash protected mode when Firefox is run sandboxed and leaves it alone when Firefox is run outside the sandbox. Like it does with Internet explorers protected mode. I think that would be great. If you like, make the suggestion at the SBIE forum.:)

Bo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.