Flash Drive

Discussion in 'hardware' started by jpcummins, Aug 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

First, please excuse my ignorance. Second, I downloaded Paragon 9 Express and when I went to make a recovery disk the program asked if it was to be a CD or Flash Drive. I understood that to restore one had to boot up with the recovery CD in the CD Drive; I also understood that CMOS had to be changed to look at the CD first to boot. My first question is to restore with the Flash Drive does one just insert the Flash Drive or is there something else that has to be done prior? Secondly, if CMOS is not set to boot to the CD first is the recovery CD worthless? As always any and all replies will be very much appreciated. I thank you in advance.

John

2. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

John,

To make the Flash Drive as the recovery environment,use the same wizard as for the CD,specifying Flash.

It will not boot from within Windows only upon restarting.

In BIOS under Advanced BIOS or similar,there is a Hard Disk Boot Priority setting under which the Flash Drive can be made to boot first.

However dont recommend doing this,as there is a chance the MBR will get mixed up.

It is preferable to use the recovery CD

Not at all-if you made the CD under any setting -it will work.

Recommend you do a few test runs-backups and restores.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  3. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

In my bios there is an option to boot from USB which i have to set to primary boot device if i want to boot from my flash drive. On another system there is a boot menu activated by pressing f12 which allows me to manually choose what i want to boot from. Hopefully your system should have something similar although not all systems are capable of booting from usb.

4. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Same applies on this side!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.