'FixMeStick', Kaspersky/Sophos/Vipre on USB.

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Baserk, May 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

'The FixMeStick is a malware removal product for the PC market that uses a LiveUSB architecture, Lubuntu as it’s operating system, and anti-virus engines from Kaspersky Labs, Sophos, and GFI VIPRE.
    FixMeStick is a PC virus detection and removal product. It's a simple-to-use, self-updating, self-contained USB hardware device.
    The FixMeStick uses your Internet connection to automatically update itself. This means it always knows about all the latest viruses, keyloggers, trojans, spyware, worms, scareware, rootkits, and other nasties.
    ' $49.99, per year. link

Kaspersky and Sophos both have free bootCDs but Vipre only free VIPRE Rescue.exe afaik. Anyone know of a Vipre CD version?
    Users who know how to boot from USB in BIOS, can use Sardu I'd think, for free. link.

2. Ranget

Ranget Registered Member

avast has the only paid Rescue Disk between Companies
    i wonder what so special about it ?

3. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

$50 a year? The BitDefender rescue disk has a high detection rate since it's BitDefender, and it has the easiest network setup (in my experience), and it's free, so I don't see why someone would pay $50 a year for something similar.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I thought the sophos rescue disc required sophos login credentials which require a license?

Im sure somepeople will find the fixmestick useful but there are plenty of decent free antimalware bootable solutions avaliable. I cant see any of my customers attempting to work out how to adjust their bios to boot from usb.
    The other point is will fixmestick re enable any or all of the following?
    the users current antivirus product?
    fix windows /microsoft update?
    fix the hosts file?
    change dns settings back?
    disable the proxy?
    adjust the file associations for .exe and others so that everything works as it should?

im sure there are more things I have forgotten in the checklist of items after malware is removed.

the other thing is that most vendors that dont have a free rescue solution have a rescue solution that comes with a licence to their anti virus and security suite.

I know I sound very negative but at the same time I do like the idea of the product.

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  5. FixMeStick

FixMeStick Registered Member

Hey guys- great discussion.

I'm one of the FixMeStick founders. You are all definitely right- there are a bunch of Rescue CD/USB options out there (Sardu is an awesome tool). What we found interesting was that, despite the fact that this approach is known to be extremely effective at detecting and removing malware, it is only used by "techies." Basic users with a malware problem either bug a techie friend or pay well north of $100 to a computer repair shop.

Our goal is to bring this technology to the masses by:
    1- Making it really easy to boot (basic users find the BIOS too confusing).
    2- Making it really easy to run a scan with multiple engines (with FixMeStick, this is automatic since we license the technology from the vendors and integrate it into one app/UI)
    3- Making it really easy to update (you don't have to reburn anything and you don't even have to know your wifi credentials to connect to wifi and update the malware definitions)
    4- Make it compatible with the widest range of systems (many rescue CDs fail to run on certain hardware)
    5- Make it affordable compared to going to a repair shop.
    6- Make it really easy to get (e.g. BitDefender Rescue CD is another great tool, but you need to burn it- http://www.bitdefender.com/site/support/How-to-create-a-Bitdefender-Rescue-CD-627.html- and many basic users have a hard time burning an iso).

Does this make sense to you guys (and by guys I mean guys and girls)?

Thanks,
    Corey (one of the two FixMeStick co-founders)

6. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

FixMeStick sounds like a good back up scaner to have in case of a disaster:thumb:

7. kupo

kupo Registered Member

I've read the functions of FixMeStick in your website, I can say that it's really easy to use.

One reason why I don't have a bootable CD/USB, I'm too lazy download, burn, etc. lol

8. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

It does make sense but tbh, the initial purchase of $50 is a tad steep imo (for a 2nd security prog), the license renewal of $24.99 seems average.
    Do you guys offer test/trial versions and/or have screenshots/videos of boot screen, config page, etc.
    Also, can you offer more details on how you use Vipre tech in Lubuntu and how you make every computer boot from the stick?

9. FixMeStick

@Baserk: For Vipre, we license their Linux SDK. We pay license fees to each of Kaspersky, Sophos, and GFI (who bought Sunbelt), so we have these costs to account for in our pricing.

We don't have screenshots, but you can see the screens if you watch this short video- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWczcru3C0w. Skip to the 0:46s mark to see the FixMeStick (both the Windows UI that launches it and then the Lubuntu app).

Making every computer boot was a lot of engineering sweat. We did a lot of compatibility testing, tweaks, etc. Also we found that lubuntu 12.04 was much better in terms of compatibility with newer hardware than 11.10.

Sorry, but we don't offer a trial version right now.

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

how would someone run FixMeStick if a fake av blocked all exe files from running?

Can you run fixmestick by changing the boot order in bios to boot from usb?

11. chabbo

chabbo Registered Member

The Gadget Professor Promo Code: GADGETPROF

This code will save you 75% OFF of the $49.99 price for the first 100 people.

After the first 100 people the code is good for a 30% discount.

Go to: http://www.fixmestick.com/ for more information – use the code when buying to apply the discount.

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  12. FixMeStick

@lodore: Yes, you can launch FixMeStick by modifying the BIOS to boot from USB. That is the preferred method because then malware has absolutely no chance to interfere, but modifying the BIOS is too tricky for most users, which is why we have the simpler option of just double-clicking an exe and FixMeStick sets it all up for the user..

13. chabbo

chabbo Registered Member

nice fixmestick, i recommend it, this look real quality :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.