firstdefense-isr-ifw/ifd

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by theshadow247, Jun 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

ATI uses the same number of screens to do a backup and I don't think there is much difference with other image backup softwares either. After all they all do the same job : image backup/restore.

Of course, Acronis has one disadvantage, it has a support forum at Wilders full with problems and Terabyte has no support forum at Wilders. So nobody reads something bad about Terabyte at Wilders.
    I didn't have any of these problems mentioned in the Acronis Forums and I always take my precautions when I start fooling around with ATI.

Another point is that EACH software has good and bad comments on the internet.
    I've read websites about Firefox, so bad you wouldn't even use it and other websites praise Firefox into heaven.
    I'm tired of all these personal opinions, preferences, experiences and pre-judgements, ...
    If I want to know the real truth about a software, I use it myself and test it in the worst situations I can think of.

ALL softwares have one thing in common : failures, bugs, forgotten functions, ...
    So ATI will fail one day, IFW will fail one day, FirstDefense-ISR will fail one day, etc. etc. etc.
    And of course some softwares fail more than others due to bad programming, bad analysis, ...
    That's the main reason, why I will never be a fan of any software.
    If I ever find a better browser than Firefox, I ditch and replace Firefox immediately.

2. theshadow247

theshadow247 Registered Member

one thing i did forget to ask is,can i mount a image using ifw/ifd.i googled this question with no luck so far.i also searched the pdf manual but didn't see eny thing....

3. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

4. theshadow247

thanks.again.crofttk.i just did my first image with ifw.and made my ifd disk.so now iam going to recover the image...

5. theshadow247

well the restore didn't go to well.here are the steps i followed.inserted disk rebooted,restore,partition bios hd restore to harddrive 0 partition 01 enter yes to continue no to validate.then i get a screen image stream is currupt please reboot.what am i doing wrong...

6. Rui

Rui Registered Member

7. crofttk

I am at work and don't have my boot CD with me, otherwise I'd boot in to see the exact steps you do. But:

1) Are you certain it's partition 01 you want to restore to ?
    2) So, do you respond Y or N to the validate question ?
    3) You left out precisely how you selected the source image to be restored. We need to be sure you selected your image correctly.

8. theshadow247

hi.Rui.the seems to be for validation iam not validating the image.ok.crofttk.these are the exact steps as follows.insert disk reboot,select restore-partition-bios-hd-restore from harddrive 1partition 01 033006-restore to bios hd restore to (harddrive 0 harddrive 0 partition 01.)and a box pops up saying all data will be lost i press yes enter validate image no the restore does to 2% and then a red box pops up the image stream is currupt please reboot.it looks like the problem could be with the boot cd seeing my disk one as 01....

9. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Having tried most every disk-imaging app I could find, I have to agree with Erik in recommending True Image. It blows my mind to see all of the derogatory posts in Wilders TI forum.

Afaic, there are only a few known problems with TI. If you need to backup to optical disk, look elsewhere as it does not work properly with DVD. Secondly, if you run TI from their Rescue CD (Linux-based), you may have problems with certain wireless mice. That's it! Otherwise, for backing up to any internal/external HDD, it works simply, quicky and perfectly!

Btw, since TI still isn't reliable for DVD backup/restore, I installed IFW on my laptop just for that purpose. But no matter how many times I tried, every attempt to create an emergency recovery CD failed, leaving me with several coasters!

~pv

10. theshadow247

i agree that ati is a good backup program but as i already posted on the forum about how,when i started using it.the d/l was 16mb now its 74mb for the home edition. bloated comes to minde.i switched to paragon drive backup pro that worked even better then ati for me anyways.but now iam having problems with mounting and viewing with paragon.so for me the most logical would be something thats not bloated or buggie....

11. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

@theshadow247

are you chosing restore from "file" option?

12. theshadow247

hi.Longboard.i iam chosing restore fro partition option....

13. Rui

Rui Registered Member

Hi theshadow247

I have just reproduced the restoring sequence using IFD and I can't see nothing wrong in the sequence you typed above.
    I asssume you are using IFW when creating the image. If so, did you install PHYLock?
    Also, before imaging, try to close your most consuming RAM applications or unnneeded programs at that moment, choose to validate image byte for byte and see what happens.
    Regards
    Rui

14. crofttk

Rui has you covered well there. Nothing I know to add at this point.

15. theshadow247

i have phylock and tbiview intalled.i validated byte by byte.and had nothing but explorer running at the time of the image.but i still get the same message.while trying to restore..

16. Rui

Rui Registered Member

theshadow247

At the link provided in one of my previous posts, it is suggested that this problem may be related to an hardware problem.

Possible troubleshooting:

Run chkdsk on both of your drives and see if that helps. In ths case, chkdsk/f;
    Run memtest
    http://www.memtest86.com/
    Regards
    Rui

17. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

@theshadow247
    very sorry this has happened to you after giving such strong encouragement to try their apps. :ouch:

E-mail terabyte support: there is a "contact us" link on the KB page.
    I was given advice within 24hrs before being paying for license
    Post a message on the usergroup pages, there are many exxperienced users and official support is always there:
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/webnews.html
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/cgi-bin/dnewsweb?cmd=xover&group=public.apps.image&utag=
    Be as specific as you can about the situation and hardware.
    when it goes wrong it is always such a pain in terms of time.
    Persist, you wont regret it.

Longboard.

18. theshadow247

hi.Longboard.no need to be sorry.i havn't been home.so i have been taking a rest from terabyte.but now that iam at home iam going to try installind ifw without one or two apps i have installed and then ill go from there.ill keep you informed..

19. furballi

furballi Registered Member

Almost ALL of the imaging issues are related to running the image file IN WINDOWS! For best result, always image the OS partition when it it NOT IN USE. This applies to ALL imaging applications.

I'd download Bootit NG and use it to create an 8MB PRIMARY PARTITION at the END of your boot HDD. Now install Bootit NG in this partition.

Reboot PC and access the Bootit NG screen to create the image file of your OS or any partition of choice. Put this image file in another partition (same or different HDD). Use the image validation option. Now use Bootit NG to restore the image file from the SOURCE partition.

Remember, there is NO NEED to use a boot disc with Bootit NG. The 1MB program resides in a primary partition at the end of your boot HDD. A Bootit NG splash screen will appear during PC boot, allowing you to access the program. Use the Bootit NG boot disc ONLY when the Bootit NG partition has been compromised.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2006
  20. bktII

bktII Registered Member

ErikAlbert,

My recollection is that you did a comparison between Terabyte Unlimited's BootIt NG and Acronis' TrueImage products. BootIT NG's capabilities include a boot manager, partitioning and image creation/restoration. I use BootIt as a boot manager and partition manager only. IFW/IFD are completely different products from Terabyte and their capability is limited to image creation/restoration. I use IFW/IFD to create and restore images precisely because I find that they are more intuitive than BootIt for this purpose. (I am not bad-mouthing BootIt; it is an amazing product.) Since I have never used ATI, I have no opinion on the BootIt vs. ATI issue highlighted in your prior post.

furballi,

I almost always create a partition image using IFW while running windows, with Phylock enabled. I have never had a problem restoring an image created this way. Nor have I had problems with Windows XP after the restoration. I have restored the images stored on an external hard drive with both IFD and the IFW plugin via BartPE.

As Rui suggested, it might be that Phylock was not installed after installing IFW. It is the second selection after IFW on the initial installation screen. Also, if Phylock was installed, it is possible that the Phylock settings were configured incorrectly for imaging. I use only the following Phylock settings:

-> Use if locking fails
    -> Volume flush
    -> Use disk storage

Never had a problem with these settings.

bktII

21. crofttk

Same here. I have BootItNG installed but I also have FD-ISR installed and allow FD-ISR to have primary control of the MBR. If I disable the pre-boot feature of FD-ISR, then I can boot through BootItNG.
    Ditto. I have tested the restore of my system partition using both methods to image and no problems with MY system have occurred. YMMV applies here as with anything.
    Oh ! Cool ! I didn't know the Bart PE plug-ins exist. I assume they can be had at Terabuyte's website. Now I can built a BartPE CD with BOTH the IFD/IFW Plug-In AND the Acronis True Image Plug-In and do some more tests that way. Oh boy, now I know what to do with my Wednesday night.:D

Thanks, bktII

22. furballi

Agreed that the problem is likely related to the inability of the software to LOCK the imaging partition. Again, another variable that I must deal with when I create the image file using IFW.

With Bootit NG, I never have to worry about Phylock or use the boot disc to restore the ACTIVE PRIMARY C PARTITION containing Windows. That's the power of Bootit NG. It's totally independent of Windows. It's almost impossible to create a bad image file with Bootit NG. Another bonus is that the speed of imaging will normally be higher in Bootit since there is no additional CPU and/or overhead to compete with the imaging program.

The Bootit screen is elegantly simple if you have some basic knowledge of drive imaging. The process always starts with the IMAGE command and ends with the PASTE command.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2006
  23. theshadow247

i just tryed ifw again and the same problem is still happening.the only thing i can think of is the Phylock is not locking the partition.iam going to try bootit ng,but first if someone could give me some help with how
    i have never partitioned my harddrive or installed bootit ng.i don't want to mess up the primary partition and have to reformat...

24. furballi

Your boot HDD is probably configured as one large PRIMARY C ACTIVE partition. Create the Bootit NG boot floppy or CD. Now reboot with this media (make sure that the BIOS is set to boot first from the floppy or optical drive containing the Bootit NG media). Use Bootit NG to resize the Primary C Active partition. Reduce the size of this C partition by about 8MB to create free space for another partition (best if you free up space at the end of the C partition). Now use Bootit NG to create a PRIMARY partition at the newly created free space. Install the Bootit and its EMBR into this new partition.

A less optimal setup is to allow Bootit NG to AUTOMATICALLY install when you reboot with the Bootit floppy/CD.

25. theshadow247

thanks.furballi.ill give it a try....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.