First website ever goes back online on the open Web’s 20th birthday

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Apr 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

2. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

Dear Lord, please no. Living of memories is a nightmare. LOL

3. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Hahahaha i mean seriously when i first opened that website i was like . . . WTF! :rolleyes:

Did you know that i used Dial Up until 2007 - 2008!!
    When i first got my 64K DSL connection i was like this is awesome, no more busy lines, no more dropped connections. :argh: :argh:

I remember back in 2002 i was downloading Age of Empires II Demo with my dial up connection and i will never forget the moment when the download was almost finishing (98%-99%) and the connection suddenly dropped, it was like the worst day of that year. :'( :'( :'(

4. Wild Hunter

Dial-up sucked... I almost gave up of using the internet in 99/00, what kept me online was an addiction to a (now elder) MMORPG. :D

TBH, computers sucked too with all those BSODs, limitations and sloooooowness....

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  5. Wild Hunter

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  6. encus

encus Registered Member

I wonder how it feels if they didn't invent the web :doubt:

7. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Well you could try to not use the Internet for a month, maybe even one week may be enough, and you would probably get the feeling :D

8. Noob

Noob Registered Member

What MMORPG?

No dont listen to Swex you will end up killing yourself. :D
    We are so used to the Internet that i can't get through a day without using it.

9. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Lol, oh, you'll get there. As to your comment about brains selectively filtering out the bad, I can in no way argue that isn't a part of it. But, it's also appreciating how much simpler things were, and appreciating what we had. Perhaps it's a little more difficult to apply that way of thinking to the Internet and computing in general than it would be for, say, music, but it applies nonetheless.

10. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I feel your pain, my friend, lol. But try early P2P on dial-up and not only does the connection drop, but since most people are on dial-up, sources can appear, disappear and reappear at any moment, or not come back for days. Actually, hell, try early P2P period and come back and complain, lol.

11. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

You'd never know the feeling because you would have never missed it. The world would have kept right on spinning and people would have been just fine. We survived thousands of years without it and a lot of things we have now.

12. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Everquest would be my bet.

And there lies the problem, we took an extremely useful tool that made life a little easier, and turned it into our lifeblood. That's not a good thing, that's a terrible thing. Anyway, I've gone months without it and I'm still breathing and have a high enough IQ. There are these wonderful things in life called socializing, TV, radio, books and a whole big world outside...try it :D

13. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Hahahahaha the last time i was without internet was like 2 years ago. It was for about 2 weeks. Life was so boring. I cant be away from home all day. :D

14. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

You are a sad little man in a sad little world :D

15. SweX

SweX Registered Member

But the Internet makes us happy....most of the time anyway :D

16. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yeah I know, one always think about "wonder if someone has replied to my post on Wilders" And then we got all the tech news, reviews, email, and everything else that one have to check on daily, and by daily I mean going through my bookmarks, that's usually enough :D

17. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Lol, confession time. Wilders is the only place that I'll reload time and again whether I'm at home or out and about with clients. I treat this place like most people treat their Facebook accounts, and I don't bloody know why :D I sometimes feel like I'm going to morph into an email one day, but that's another thing I'm glued to. I don't remember the last time I went at the very least an hour without an email to check.

18. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yes Amen to that, same here, well ok not the morphing part, and when/if you do morph into an email be sure you don't morph into a spam mail, since then I will delete you right away, but you may not even make it to the inbox "SmartSceen" may kick in before :D

19. encus

encus Registered Member

I think I beat you, Noob. I survived without the net for almost 3 months a couple months ago. And I think I could go nuts if it continued like that. Three months felt like 3 decades! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.