First Defense

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by rwt325, Sep 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rwt325

rwt325 Registered Member

I had to temporarily de-activate Pre Boot. Now I cannot re-activate it. I re-check the box "Display hotkey and pause bar" press Apply and OK and still get a warning sign and "pre Boot disabled" message.

What else should I do to re-activate the Pre Boot.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Did you reactivate it by clicking on the file menu. Actually is that how you deactivated it.

Pete

3. rwt325

rwt325 Registered Member

I de-activated by unchecking "Display hotkey..." box in Actions>Options menu. That is how I am trying to re-activate it. The box is checked but the main menu says "Pre-Boot disabled".

I do not have the File menu.

Thanks for your help.

4. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

If you do not have the file menu, you have other problems. I would suggest an uninstall reinstall to see if you can correct it.

Pete

6. rwt325

rwt325 Registered Member

No, I have First Defense PC Rescue v3.1 Build215
    Horizon Data Systems.

7. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

why not try as peter suggests .......
    uninstall and reinstall leave the snapshot in place that should fix things

8. rwt325

rwt325 Registered Member

I just tried to do just that. When I tried ti re-instal FD Rescue, I got only two options: uninstall leaving the settings, or uninstall completely. I chose the first option. When I tried to install again I got the message on the attachment.

Attached Files:

9. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

try again with all security software off ... can you install over the top?

otherwise raise a ticket with HDS

10. rwt325

rwt325 Registered Member

Tried to install over the top, and clean after uninstalling First Defense. Get the same message. Will try it with security software disabled as you suggest.

However I had the same security software installed and running when I first installed FD a couple of months ago - Eset Smart Security, Threatfire and Spyware Doctor. I gave them necessary permissions the first time around and that was that.

Thanks for your comments.

11. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Perhaps this is a silly question: I see you have Acronis 11. Why not restore an image of everything before you actually deactivated Pre Boot? (hopefully you do have one!)

12. USAAlone

USAAlone Registered Member

Hi,

Clicking the show icon doesn't disable pre-boot, it just turns off the icon in the tray. To enable pre-boot, click on the action menu and click on enable pre-boot at the bottom before exit.

USAAlone

13. rwt325

rwt325 Registered Member

USAAlone: I have Rescue PC not the IRS version. And yes, clicking the show icon disables the Preboot. It did not show as a rescue option on boot, that is why I started this thread in the first place.

Osaban - no not a silly question, since I have more than one Acronis image. I initially hesitated and started the thread since I wanted to find out how to do it in the future. I posted this question with Horizon, and have no reply from them.

I eventually restored an old C image and regained the use of First Defense PC Rescue. Thank you all who posted with suggestions.

PC Rescue is vastly different from the original First Defense IRS, and a lot of well meaning members wasted their time with suggestions I could not follow. Perhaps there should be a separate place to post First Defense PC Rescue threads. Once again thank uou all for your help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.