FIRST DEFENSE users: a concern

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Acadia, Dec 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

That screenshot is what I see when I open the C: drive.

2. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Tony, that's really weird. With your "Show hidden files and folders" I would think that you should be able to see it. o_O

Acadia

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Similar to Tony, I have Folder options to show hidden files and folders, but I can't see $ISR anywhere :(

Looking through the various threads on FD there seems to be lots of inconsistencies between different users!

4. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

What I see:

Attached Files:

5. Wolfe

Wolfe Registered Member

Like this one on C:

Attached Files:

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Likewise with the show hidden files selected:

Attached Files:

7. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Perhaps you guys have 'Hide protected operating system files' unchecked. I've found that if I uncheck that, I can see the $ISR folder, but for safety reasons, I've re-checked it.

Attached Files:

8. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Same deal with me, TonyW. I can see $ISR with 'Hide protected operating system files' unchecked, can't see $ISR when 'Hide protected operating system files' is checked.

I recently installed System Mechanic 6 (Iolo). I tried out the "fix broken shortcuts" feature. For every "broken" shortcut it found in my "live" files, it found a corresponding "broken" shortcut in the snapshot stored in my $ISR snapshot structure !!!:mad: This was before I knew enough about the settings in SM6 to not allow it to delete stuff at will -- which it PROCEEDED TO DO ! -- including the "broken" shortcuts in my stored snapshot !

Since I felt it had probably corrupted the snapshot and was generally extremely ill at ease, I restored my Retrospect backup from the night before. Retrospect stores EVERYTHING including The $ISR structure.

From all the timestamps and configuration settings, it was clear that Retrospect put things back exactly as they had been the night before -- even the timestamp and size of the stored snapshot.

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi again

Interesting thing about the Dantz restore is if you restore say one file from one of the $isr dirctories and put it someplace it has the same protection as the original.

I uses Regsupreme(macesoft) and it has never messed with the FD snapshots. I have always let it clean everything it finds, and it has never messed me up.

Pete

10. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Indeed, Pete, me too, as I mentioned in another thread about registry cleaners. The jv16 pt '05 reg cleaner only gave me a very minor problem on one occasion. I could have fixed it manually, but used the opportunity to restore the reg cleaner backup just as a "real life" test (although I HAD tested, this was more "real").:cool:

11. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I doubt this is any different than system restore, as far as scanning inside them goes. Just about anything can scan inside them, but I don't think there's much that can remove. Permissions can be set very granularly, it's possible that a scanner could scan inside but no more.. that doesn't necessarily mean there's a security hole. I would definitely try what Peter suggested and create a snapshot with the eicar test file inside, scan it and see what happens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.