First Defense by Raxco

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by hollywoodpc, Mar 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S!x

S!x Registered Member

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I use R-Drive Image for backup, but not to be confused, it is not the same as First Defense. For disk imaging to another disk it is great and necessary, as First Defense won't help a bit if your disk crashes. But for anything else, if your disk hardware is intact you just can't beat First Defense.

While yes you can restore a drive image and be back up you can't up date that image in under 3 minutes, and most significantly if something happens that corrupts windows, FDISR can have you up in about 3 minutes plus 2 reboots. No image restore is anywhere near that fast.

3. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Peter2150,
    With R-Drive Image can you back up and restore a image from CD-RW? and if yes how many CD you will need approximatly?

4. Peter2150

Hi Antartica

I believe the answer is yes, but I don't consider it practical. I did one CDR backup of my system (about 19g) and it took 17 CD's No good, as all it takes is anyone of those going bad, and you have 17 coasters. External Hard Drives are the only way to go, IMHO.

Since my PC is mission critical to two businesses I image with both Acronis and R Drive. Alternate every other day. Do a backup with Retrospect Every Day(I like this program). All these are done to and external USB 2.0 drive. Additionally the files are stored on a 2nd drive for redundancy.

Pete

PS R Drive doesn't work with Raid where as Acronis is supposed to.

5. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Many thanks Peter2150, that's exactly what I wanted to know. Right now I don't have a External Hard Drive but I am looking for one. Price is what's hold me right now. :eek:

6. Peter2150

One thing I'd add here. Whether disk imaging or copying with First Defense, I always disable my AV, Process Guard, Spysweeper, Prevx or Safe'n'Sec. In another words all the monitoring software. Just avoids problems.

Also when doing disk images that copy the master boot record, I disable First Defense's preboot.

Just a safe better than sorry approach.

Pete

7. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Thanks guys . One thing though . Since Processguard IS in my snapshots , if I ever want to delete one of those , I need to UNINSTALL PG ? Not just disable it ?

8. Peter2150

I disable PG if I create a snapshot, for refresh it. Then when I boot to it I just enable it. I tend to leave it disabled when I leave the snapshot. Then if you want to delete refresh or what ever it doesn't matter. I have never had a need to uninstall Process Guard in relation to PG.

Pete

9. hollywoodpc

So , when making a snapshot , disable PG . ? What if PG was enabled when the snapshot was done ? Will it only cause a problem if I try to delete a snapshot ?

10. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Hollywood, I just want to let you know that I am not ignoring you, I'd love to help but I'm afraid that I can't ... I have never used Process Guard. If the day ever comes that I purchase PG, I will have the same questions.

Acadia

11. hollywoodpc

No problem Acadia . Quite alright . If I can help you with PG sometime , let me know . lol . Although , it seems , everybody on the Wilders Forum is pretty much an expert on it . Wow . And thank you again for the help you have already offered . You and Pete were invaluable .

12. Peter2150

Hi Hollywoodpc

Reason for disabling PG to do the copy is if you don't you might notice that there were 2 errors during the copy. Probably from the locked PG files. I don't think it will affect removing a snapshot in the slightest. Actually not even a big deal from any stand point. Just disable PG and do another copy and all will be fine in the other snapshot.

Pete

13. S!x

S!x Registered Member

Currently i use seperate disc's to restore with R-Drive Image. To keep the backup small i only include the default install of Windows (with all the updates) Antivirus, firewall, & my drivers for video, sound, etc ...(takes 2 or 3 discs) - all my other programs are on seperate discs. I have several hard drives and quick change bays on my case (they just slide in - no internal connectors) which is the same technology as the external HD's, I may look into First Defense if its that fast as another option.

But i still think keeping backups on disc of my bought & paid for programs is essential ... any hard drive connected to your system - be it internal or external - can run the risk of getting infected by a virus/trojan/rootkit and ruin all your executables (.exe, .com, etc...) then you can't back them up. I had a virus over a year ago that nailed 3 of my drives at once (now i only connect them one at a time) :D

I must admit though that i have put a few backup discs that i created in my PC that failed and became coasters - but that (so far) has been a very small percentage (around the 1 in 30 range as an uneducated guess). I have also had a few hard drives die on me over the years, although at a much smaller percentage than the ROM failures it is a viable possiblility.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2005
  14. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Yes, until programs like FirstDefense and GoBack put their history bins and Snapshots onto another hard drive, they do not replace a traditional true imaging program. I have always had a least one true imaging program at all times (currently I have two). In almost six years of computing, because of GoBack and FirstDefense I have NEVER, I REPEAT, NEVER had to restore an image from these programs, FD or GB have always saved the day. But I know that the day that I stop making images of my system, that is the day my hard drive will crash.

Acadia

15. Peter2150

Hi S!X

I keep my backup images on two external drives. One being somewhat active I suppose a virus could get to it. They other drive would be tough for a virus to infect as it is powered down 95% of the time.

Acadia, you are right. Both of those programs have saved me countless times, but I still spend the time doing backups,images etc, cause like you said.....

16. hollywoodpc

Thank you Pete .

17. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Hi

I have just bought this wonderful program. The decision was much based on what I have read here at wilders about Firsdefence (+the clowns @ punkbuster/Evenbalance forcing gamers to uninstall paid programs, but thats another story :) )

Anyway, I noticed now that I do need much bigger C partition to have the (3) snapshots I want. I´m looking for ways to avoid a reformat and a new install of Windows to achive that. Somehow it feels like partition magic (program to increase a partition without loosing data) would cause problems if I tried to increase my C partition with Firstdefence installed. Am I right in my presumption or is it possible to use Partition Magic with Firstdefence?

18. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Hello, sukarof. When I first purchased FD last July, I asked tech support if it was OK to use FD with a partitioning program. They told me, "Yes".

But on their website they warn about using any programs that mess with the Master Boot Record since FD needs to claim the MBR as its very own.

I would contact FD tech support if I were you. They should get back to you within a day or two at the most with the correct advice. Good luck.

Acadia

19. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Thanks for your reply. I guess I can do the next best thing and uninstall Firsdefence (and snapshots) and do the partitioning and then install FD again.
    I have contacted FD support about that and Windows 64 compability, but since it is weekend and I thought I might try to do it this weekend I took a chance that maybe someone here had done it already. :)

20. Peter2150

Hi Sukarof

I would wait until you hear from Raxco, but also note the for imaging and stuff like that there is an option to disable the preboot, which takes First Defense stuff out of the MBR. You just have to remember to turn it back on.

Pete

21. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

I've used Partition Commander to resize, same reason, to increase c: to allow 5 FD Snapshots and had no problems. I had 3 snapshots, wanted more, and didn't need to uninstal FD or even turn off the pre-boot. I'm on W2K. I did however hedge my bet by copying the entire drive to another using Copy Commander in case it didn't work. So, you should be OK, Jim

22. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

You have to disable it in order for the PG files to be copied to the target snapshot.
    To see what happens:
    Leave PG protection enabled.
    Open FD (system icon (Manage FirstDefense-ISR
    Click on Tools > Clear Log entries and confirm OK
    Copy a snapshot
    Click on Help > About First Defense - ISR > Support Info and then have only the Include Detail Logs for the previous 1 day checked and click OK.
    The log will be displayed showing that PG files were not copied.
    then
    Click on Tools > Clear Log entries and confirm OK
    Turn off PG Protection, repeat the Copy Snapshot etc. and you'll see that the PG files were copied.
    Turn PG protection back on.
    Jim

23. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Hi Acadia.............are you using the new GoBack ? Did you have any problems w/cookies at there site?

24. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Rainwalker, sorry to have taken so long to reply, I just now noticed your post. I have not used GoBack since last June, so no, I have never used the latest GoBack. I have only used FirstDefense since last July, but I can still highly recommend GoBack and I would have no problem returning to it if for some reason FD became incompatible with my system. GoBack is easier to use, set and forget; FD is more flexible, you can do more with it.

Acadia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.