first custom built computer project

Discussion in 'hardware' started by ejames82, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ejames82

ejames82 Registered Member

i had a custom "nova" computer given to me. the motherboard is an ABIT-BE6-II. i have read many good things about this motherboard. the particular items that i like are the Fcable and s-video ports. i tested the hard drive and power supply on a separate computer, so i know that they work. this is my first "real" project.
    there is no internet connection supplied to the unit. only mouse, keyboard, and monitor.
    the hard drive is a maxtor with 30GB storage and xp installed.
    the power supply is a viomax ATX model AT500.N ITEM:pW606. additional information written on it are as follows;

INPUT: 100V-127V/6A 60 Hz
    200V-240V/3A 50 Hz

OUTPUT: +3.3V +5V +12V -12V -5V +5VSb
    MAX(A): 30A 50A 25A 0.8A 0.5A 2.0A
    OUTPUT: 500W

i am fairly confident that i have everything connected properly, with the exception of the hard drive. the only vacant ribbon cable was assumed to be the hard drive connection.

when i tested the computer, it showed several screens. none of them were the typical windows screen that i am familiar with. then, it displayed a screen similar to this:

Diskette Drive B: None Serial Port(s): 3FB
    IDE Pri. Master None Parallel Port(s): 37B
    IDE Pri. Slave None SDRam at Rows: 0 1
    IDE Sec. Mast r None
    IDE Sec. Slave None

PCI Device listing
    Device Class
    IDE Controller
    Serial Bus Controller
    Simple Comm Controller
    Network Controller
    Multimedia Device
    Multimedia Device
    Multimedia Device
    Mass Storage Controller
    Mass Storage Controller
    Display Controller
    ACPI Controller

verifying DMI pool data.........

after over half an hour of seeing this screen, i decided that it may never change. was i wrong for thinking this way? should i have levft it alone and given it more time to process? do any of you experts who have encountered this type of situation have any advice that could help me get this computer to where it is operating properly?

2. Arup

Arup Guest

Go to the BIOS and load setup defaults.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.