firewalls

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by maddawgz, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MushfiQ

MushfiQ Registered Member

Thx Claire....i was looking here & there but coudnt find that......i can finally give a try...thx again :)

Cheers
    :cool:

2. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

Is it true that the new version of zonealarm 5.5.062.011 is compatible with WinXP Sp2 firewallo_O

3. Mem

Mem Guest

4. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Hi Chaos .

Not trying to confuse you but , LnS is not as simple as they claim . It is easy enough for me but , you are used to ZA . Stay with it . Very good overall . My suggestion would be to use ZA , Outpost , or Kerio . LnS is good but , these I mention are as well . Is LnS better ? Nope . Maybe better than the free versions but , BETTER than Outpost ? Nope . Better than ZA ? Maybe . Better than Kerio ? Nope . As good , maybe but , NOT better . Bottom line is : Take your pick with the above mentioned . You will not go wrong . Good luck in your quest

5. my2cents

my2cents Registered Member

Question - does ZA provide Stateful packet Inspectiono_O Because I cant see it advertised as that. And plus, since Check Point got involved it should indeed use SPI.

Could anyone verify this?

6. hollywoodpc

I cannot verify but , it was NOT used in 5.5 , ORIGINAL release . As for now , I am unsure .

7. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

ZA has always had a level of stateful packet inspection.

Regards,

CrazyM

8. chaos16

But can i use ZA with WinZXp Sp2

9. herbalist

herbalist Guest

Do not use 2 firewalls together, including XPs. There's little to be gained with more than one firewall and you can end up causing all kinds of system conflicts.
    Shut XPs firewall off, regardless of what other firewall you use.
    Rick

10. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Yes, the latest versions are also compatible with (recognized by) the Security Center in XP.

Regards,

CrazyM

11. herbalist

herbalist Guest

Does being recognized by the Security Center mean it can be used with XPs firewall or as a replacement for it? Everything else I've seen has said not to run XPs firewall with any other firewall.
    Rick

12. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

With third party fiewalls that are compatible with XPsp2 and the Security Center, the Windows Firewall will be disabled in favor of the installed firewall. If the Security Center sees no third party firewall active, it will enable the Windows Firewall.

You should only run one software firewall.

Regards,

CrazyM

13. hollywoodpc

Hi Crazy . Yes , it was ALWAYS there , in one form or another but , in tthe original 5.5 release , it was negligable in useage . So , the question would be , is it effective . The answere WAS no . As for now , maybe they have it working as it is supposed to . Remember , everyone has their own definition of SPI . I was speaking from a level where a newbie would get the info needed . It is not as simple as , Yes they have it . Alot do but , some work better than others and some play NO role in their level of protection . I was trying to simplify as I was a novice too .

14. chaos16

i am happy with zonealarm thnx to u pll :D

i have a router and it has a built in hardware firewall.

now i know the best firewall to block hackers are hardware firewalls
    but i would like to know if software firewalls are good for blocking firewalls??

and another thing are all the firewall software the same for blocking. or are other software firewalls better than others for blocking trojans,worms and viruses and if so which ones.

15. chaos16

o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O??

does anyone know of the next version of zonealarm 6.0 is there any news on that

16. hollywoodpc

I have not heard BUT , I would recommend that they get 5.5 completely bug free . They are going backwards as far as quality is concerned . Very sad . They used to be at the top but , continue to slide . Sorry . No , have heard nothing on a version 6 .

17. chaos16

i am happy with zonealarm thnx to u pll

i have a router and it has a built in hardware firewall.

now i know the best firewall to block hackers are hardware firewalls
    but i would like to know if software firewalls are good for blocking hackers??

and another thing are all the firewall software the same for blocking. or are other software firewalls better than others for blocking trojans,worms,viruses and hackers and if so which ones

Last edited: Feb 23, 2005
  18. chaos16

19. MushfiQ

MushfiQ Registered Member

20. Arup

Arup Guest

If you do a scan with the Sygate scanner, it reports that Zone Alarm supports SPI and the web browsing is totally stealthed.

Checkpoint has bought out Zone Labs to market it with their routers, according to the Zone Alarm news on their site.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.