firewalls & VPN

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by edq, Dec 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edq

edq Guest

Does anyone have a recommendation for a free firewall that works well with virtual provate networking?

2. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

3. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Most firewalls should work with VPN software but you need to specify what VPN you are using and how it operates (does it use PPTP, L2TP, IPSec or SSH for example) to get a more definite answer.

4. edq

edq Guest

Someone recently tried to install the Cisco VPN on my laptop, which has been using the free Sygate firewall and the VPN could not function. It sounds like this is just an issue of configuring the firewall.

5. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Cisco's VPN includes a ZoneAlarm client so this could well be a software conflict with Sygate. This is a problem with Outpost firewall also and there is a thread in the Outpost forum Outpost And Cisco Vpn Solution which may help in this.

6. Alec

Alec Registered Member

Yeah, VPN client software usually makes some low level modifications to the TCP/IP stack and so they can cause conflicts at times with other low-level software like personal firewalls. Also, as Paranoid points out, many times the various VPN clients come bundled with a software firewall as well. I believe he is right about the Cisco VPN client, and I know that Juniper Networks NetScreen-Remote client could be purchased either stand-alone ("VPN Client") or bundled with a licensed version of the Sygate firewall ("Security Client"). Although, I believe that the actual NetScreen VPN client was licensed from SafeNet. SSH Communications Security used to have a product called SSH Sentinel, but last I heard they sold off that product to... tada... SafeNet. So I guess there has been some consolidation in the VPN client software space. :doubt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.