Firewalls 'n' Ethernets?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Widget, Apr 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Widget

Widget Registered Member

Hi,
    For a while I've been aware that I need a decent Firewall (Security system in general actually but that's another post). First a little about my setup. My server hosts my dialup connection :rolleyes: to the rest of the network via Microsoft's ICS. It running a WinXP Pro/2k server dual boot (I'm trying to phase out the 2k partition actually). Most other computers also run WinXP Pro however there are 2k, an ME (not mine I swear) and 98 machines also. Currently my last only line of defence is Norton IS2002, and after reading various articles posts about it I’ve decided to switch. After reading jvmorris's relpy to Smokey's post I can safely say I'm in the second group ready to jump ship. Now, the eternal question, what is the best firewall? :D hehe.

Ok, until broadband becomes available in my area the hardware option is out. I've read through the sites and have it nailed to either a Sygate or a Tiny. What? Me, cheap... never, I believe the word is student. Which would be better for me? Also I'd like to confirm something I've been wondering about, I don't need firewalls on all my machines do I? Just on my server...right?

If any of that made sense then I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.

Widget.

2. FanJ

FanJ Guest

It would be wise to have a firewall on ALL your machines, not only on your gateway-machine.
    In that way the firewall on each machine could control outbound connection attempts.

3. Widget

Widget Registered Member

Thanks, I'll  do that then. I've just finished puting Sygate Personal Firewall on the server and I've notice that machines trying to use ICS are having trouble unless I set "Allow all". Any idea which Applications or Advanced rules I need to counter this?

4. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi,

Sorry, I can't help you with Sygate; I hope someone else will jump in.
    But there is also a Sygate forum:

http://forums.sygatetech.com/

5. Widget

Widget Registered Member

Thanks again. I check ou the Sygate Forum and in the FAQ forum I found this...
    So I've gone for Kerio Personal Firewall, which actually states it supports gateways which is good. Running sweetly so far, I'll give it a couple more hours of hard usage and if it holds up then I'll install it on the rest of the network. I'm very grateful fir the help, Thanks

Widget.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.