Firewall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by DoeZ0763, Mar 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dangitall

dangitall Registered Member

Okay, DoeZ. If everything is working now, you should be okay. If something comes up, though, you know where to reach me!

You might also consider going back to the MyWay forum and let folks know that your (current) problems have been adequately dealt with. Pappy appreciates a 'thank you' as much as anyone else does! If you do go there for this, start a new thread: your original one has been moved to the second page.

;) :D :D :) *puppy* :cool:

2. DoeZ0763

DoeZ0763 Registered Member

I'm actually waiting to hear from papakid in regards to a few other things he was gonna help me with. I do more than ever appreciate all the help you people have given me...I know it's not easy dealing with people that aren't up on the lingo and all... :rolleyes:But I ThanK You Again :-*a million {{{hugs & kisses}}}.

3. RedLobster

RedLobster Guest

Doe

Looks like you are getting nervous..relax..its
    going to be just fine.....keep it simple.

Netbios: NO!! don't care if you are on dial-up, cable, or on a bike..Netbios; NO!

Some examples that may help you understand. Lets use spywareblaster.....it needs to be updated.....so you check for update and up pops ZA asking if you want to allow spyblaster OUT.....you check OK....but AS A CLIENT..NOT AS A SERVER....so any program that asks for SERVER..you say no..an denie.
    Now, if you are not sure..just DENIE....an in the ZA setup an entry of THAT program will appear...once it does you can make the needed adjustment....ok, as a CLIENT....
    Thing to remember is that YOU HAVE A CHOICE....the program wont go away if you denie.....you can make adjustments...an the use the program........
    ok, lets try this:

Internet Explorer: allow out, as a CLIENT not as a SERVER.

Anti-virus update: allow as a client..not a server.

Aol/yahoo messenger: allow as a client not as a server.

Nothing gets out as a SERVER

an again Netbios: DENIE...no exceptions..if you are not using file sharing....

4. dangitall

dangitall Registered Member

Right back at ya! ;)

5. RedLobster

RedLobster Guest

Doe asked:

Ok...I did this and I saw that IP address 192etc...it says it's my IP address...so I'm gonna assume to allow this...yes?

NO!!! DENIE!

ZA is an application firewall.......a Rulebased firewall your question would be answered differantly.

Remember Doe...in doubt DENIE....if then you can't access the internet THEN OK AS A CLIENT.......when in doubt: DON'T

6. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Thanks Doe!

Gerard

Finally for the die hards:

Fast Bytes Zone Alarm By: Oliver Keuten, Oliver Kuerten
    Catalog: Book
    Publisher: Data Becker
    Released: May, 2004
    List price: $12.95
    Amazon price: $10.36
    Availability: Not yet released.

7. RedLobster

RedLobster Guest

Here is a link with pictures and explanations

http://www.markusjansson.net/eza.html

I've no idea if it fits your version but ZA is what ZA is.....so you should get some understanding.
    Just noticed that you are on a home network so its best for other networkers to answer your questions....which I am not.
    Nice to see everyone helping you this way.

8. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi DoeZ

Having a home network behind the router (LAN = Local Area Network) you can add the LAN subnet (range of IP addresses) to your trusted zone in ZA. From the IP you mentioned earlier you will want to enter the following subnet: 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0

This should allow communications between the systems behind the router (you should not see that netbios prompt anymore), and still protect your system from the outside. Although your router will already be protecting the systems behind it from unsolicited inbounds from the Internet.

Regards,

CrazyM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.