Firewall with the fastest BOOTUP time

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by 1commander, Dec 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Long View

Long View Registered Member

and a Happy Christmas to you too Mr Scrooge.

and if that mattered then 95% or more of all posts would have to be withdrawn

You would need to know a lot more than that but no one in their right mind would go to so much trouble.

By the way the answer is to just stick with a decent hardware firewall and not to take all this security nonsense too seriously. If a software firewall has to be installed avoid vista and stick with old unsupported sygate or kerio.

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Actually, you don't need a 100 ... that's radical. But a nice DoE can be designed, probably with nore than 30 runs in the worst case.

My best of the bestest Windowses boot in about 20-40 sec with Syggie, me digital love.

Mrk

3. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

We are still waiting for clarification from the OP to questions put in:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1146753&postcount=45

Particularly why the poster keeps keeps rebooting so often. Time of boot would matter less if the poster didn't do that?

For some they leave system on all time, no daily boots, I don't do that myself.

For me I turn off PC at night, reboot in the AM. So if boot takes 32 seconds or 35 seconds who cares?

4. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Its more work on the hard drives too keep shutting down. I only shut my pc down once a week and reboot if needed. 90% of the time my pc is on and no reason to shut it off.

5. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    I reboot Windows machines every 3 weeks or so, Linux machines only after kernel upgrade or so, turn the machines off - never except hardware upgrade or a long vacation.
    Mrk

6. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hi Mrk:

That makes good sense for you. :D

Around these parts,we get lightning and electric spikes and power outages too often. So I keep my power exposure to 50% of yours. Yes, I have surge protector but power out is power out!

In 2008 I'm going to add an apc power unit or equivalent to give me 30 minutes of run time and a soft landing from a power outage. Then like you I will not reboot every day and care even less about boot time.

7. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    UPS is a must. BTW, I'm planning on moving to mapleland one day, tell me what parts to avoid ...
    Mrk

8. dmenace

dmenace Registered Member

Why would you want a systematic 100x timed bootup and clean install of windows test?

A forum is a place where free, friendly and sometimes biased / exaggerated advice is given.

Don't expect people to conduct comprehensive tests and put in a lot of time!

EDIT: And for those people who don't turn off their pcs, like electricity bills and em radiation is why you wouldn't do that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.