Firewall with the fastest BOOTUP time

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by 1commander, Dec 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

That's funny.......that is the same opinion I have of ZoneAlarm. :rolleyes:

2. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Coolio use Revo Uninstaller in advanced mode.

3. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

..i have less then 1 gig....

4. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

5. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Are you seroius. Why?

6. Coolio10

Ok i tried it.

There is a 6-8 seconds delay at the welcome screen but comodo also has a 6-8 delay when loading up.
    I checked for update and installed it but when i restarted and checked product info it was stuck at the old version number and asked for me to re-download the same update. 53MB mem usage!!!!! Not for a guy with only 512mb or less. I have less :(. It runs smooth. Very easy at default. I have only had 2 popups since installation. COMODO has more preferences to play with. Log viewer is a bit too simple. anti-virus monitoring? Why replace windows built in one. Antispyware removed a couple tracking cookies automatically. It is actually more complicated to add expert rules in za than comodo :D, too many drop-downs and extra clicking. Not really sure about mailsafe. Have no idea how it works. I like how the program control lists actual program names instead of file names. I don't like how Trusted and Internet are seperated. It should be one configuration depending on which zone you picked instead of listing both but only one is active? OSFirewall does not seem to be on by default. It only monitors a couple areas but i am sure ZA will gradually add more.

Comodo may be more complicated to use but it guides you along the way. All the settings in ZA are squished together with no description. Comodo has a link to the helpfile and describes certain settings. ZA really makes me wonder how cfp3 can be offered for free :D. OA free beats ZASS

Last edited: Dec 24, 2007
  7. Coolio10

I have better things to waste my money on :D.

8. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

OSfirewall should be on default in ZAAS set up. It is for me in my settings. Only uses 37k at the most for me. I dont use the mail safe and the spyware function is no bigger. The main focus is the firewall which is a very good firewall. I use SAS for my anti spyware. BTW there is no way OA beats ZAAS in overall performance. Your not gamer like I am.

9. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

RAM is cheap. Really cheap. You can get a gig for around $75 or less.

10. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

OSfirewall is under Programs Control/Main. Look at the custom tab and you will see its on. Coolio have you realized that Comodo over laps most the options. ZAAS is not cramped. All the options you need are very easy to get at. The only options I need to look at is program control for my games. I look at my list of 180 apps and change anything I want to trusted and put a chech mark next to the access tab so games like COD4 will be allowed out. Its that simple. Not this whole pending file thing.

11. Coolio10

It dropped to 43mb. I am not a gamer like you :D. You could of got a video card for $25 which would of made your gaming better then 1 gig :D.

Fine it is not cramped but it stuffs a lot of options into 1 window. It should be more buttons.

12. LoneWolf

Read it.

Still not impressed.

Read this from the website of matousec(the site you posted)
    All things considered and the fact that ZA had the calling home thing in the past,(yes i've had za before)
    ZA will never be on my box ever again.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2007
  13. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

BTW my install folder for ZAAS is only 8.44MB as compared to Comodo or OA which around 30-40MB. Why did you up date the firewall if you were already installing the latest version?

14. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Well it seems ZA wont even let me gain access to that site. It pops up with a Spy Blocking warning. Just how trust worthy is that site anyways? Ever think of that. Matousec is what most of us base are descions on and most popular websites like CNET,PC Mag or PC World. BTW version 7.0.337.000 is old and outdated ZA is up to version 7.0.462.000. The test version that Matosec uses is version 7.0.408.000. Get your facts straight.

15. LoneWolf

Well if you base your decisions on computer mags then good luck to you.
    And have a happy holiday :D

16. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

So I guess Consumer Report is a bad mag also. I guess they have no idea how to judge products. your vain.

17. Coolio10

I had the old version downloaded from the email.

18. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Talking about third-party firewalls, I'm sure that nothing beats Ghostwall or CHX-I. For application firewalls, Kerio 2, Jetico 1 and LnS are the fastest.

19. LoneWolf

I used to get comsumer reports. What does that have to do with computer security? They know appliances cars etc. not computer security.They rate the stuff on store shelfs not testing all that is avaliable. I'm vain because I dislike ZA o_O Ok then i'm vain :D
    Everyone here has their opinion, i'll express mine, you express your's, they will express their's. That's why this is called a security forum, things are open for discussion.

20. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Everyone here talks about fast and slow but without giving times. I run a number of machines with sygate. The fastest boots in 35 seconds and the slowest in 1 minute. Is this fast or slow ?

21. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

I'd say that 35 seconds is fairly fast. On a high-end machine, I can boot in 24 seconds (desktop loaded and ready to use)

22. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I have 512MB and have used ThreatFire along with Avast home and ZAAS without any noticeable slowdowns. I will say I couldn't tell much difference between Comodo and ZAAS as far as PC slowdowns or when surfing the web. I did think my PC loaded faster with Comodo though than ZAAS. Both are a step above OA Free, but I'm sure the full version of Online Armor, which is what I would love to use, is as good as CPF and ZAAS.

23. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Not true Wordward. I have the full version of OA and its not that much different then the free. Did you do what I said to make your pc boot faster? use this for your boot files.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-Tweak/TuneXP.shtml

24. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

If you want to know the answer to your OP question you need to answer the questions put to you earlier.

If the question is now changed what is it?

If you want to try OA Full version just get it on trial. You will need to follow the detailed ZA removal steps first though and ensure all traces of Avast, Comodo are removed first. ThreatFire would also have to come out since you wouldn't want 2 HIPS's dueling.

25. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

For a question like this you will get answers worth nothing.

What you would need, to get a truthful answer is:

1. Fresh install of windows (from an image)
    2. Clean install of fw X1
    3. Timing of 100 boot ups with fw X1 installed
    4. Statistical analysis of boot times (avg/variance)
    5. Repeat for all FWs X1-Xn

Now, how many people you think have done that?

So, you will get hearsay, guesses, personal preferences and everything else.

some of those answers could be right.

Good luck choosing the right one amongst all the answers :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.