Firewall with logging of NAT IP and websites for small network, like OpenDNS

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by aspspy, Apr 25, 2015.

1. aspspy

aspspy Registered Member

I am looking for a log of date and time, internal IP, and external IP (prefer domain names) for a network of about 5 computers, no domain. I would like something that can block and filter categories like OpenDNS or the Sonicwall NSA 2400 and would log all attempts. I could build something like pfsense or buy some hardware, hoping for under $200, or use an old computer. This unit could act as the router and firewall. I do not want to allow another DNS to be used, so I would have to block DNS requests for someone manually setting DNS to 8.8.8.8. I have tried DDWRT but could not get all of the things I wanted, but I could block other DNS requests. It has been hard to tell from the specs what could accomplish all of this, so if someone has some experience with it, I would appreciate your input.

Thanks

2. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

Ubuntu+ Zentyal or Zentyal itself.Ubuntu+Zentyal can be used as a routing/firewall and HTPC(movies,music and such) simultaneosly.
    Open Suse can be used for such purpose as well, but remote admin is not as easy as the Zentyal.
    Each Zentyal version works on a specific Ubuntu desktop version.
    A cheap machine can be made with AMD FM2/+ and AM 1 small factor boards for low power consumption.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.