Firewall with content blocker

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Duglas D, Sep 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duglas D

Duglas D Registered Member

I need a good small fast firewall with content blocker. Could u recommend any?

2. Seishin

Seishin Registered Member

3. gagman

gagman Registered Member

Check this post to have content filtering software :
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=872231#post872231

I don't know firewalls including this kind of filtering, I think it's better to have a FW and a content filtering software.
    You can find FWs with some content filtering capabilities (ie kerio paid version I guess).
    But you need to create some keyword, some white/balck list to have something working, and it will never do the job better than a solution like the bluecoat one (based on a real existing database).

Netveda has embedded web filtering capabilities, I know nothing about that, maybe should be considered.

4. mitsu3kgtsl

mitsu3kgtsl Registered Member

It's good, but not too small, or fast (in my experience at least).

Outpost 4 Pro has a LOT of options for content blocking. There's web filtering, active content filtering, and third party plugins such as Blockpost, which allows you to block IP addresses as well (which in turn will also block content from HTTP for example).

At one point I was a diehard outpost user, as these features have been available since several versions back, but as of version 4 I was unimpressed by incompatibilities and overall sluggish performance.

I then found other ways to supplement the features from Outpost that I onced used. I know use the KIS6 suite, with Peerguardian as my IP blocker, and the MVPS hosts file updated with the HostsMan application. I also use a simple CSS file in my browser to do away with advertisements, and have been much happier with this setup to date.

Sorry I went slightly OT, but I haven't found a small, fast firewall that will offering the blocking you are looking for efficiently yet.

5. mitsu3kgtsl

mitsu3kgtsl Registered Member

Also forgot to add that my setup now is automated in terms of updating itself. Peerguardian is so transparent I forget its running sometimes, but it updates itsself, as well as Hostsman is unintrusive, and also updates the MVPS hosts file. With the Outpost built in content filtering, every few weeks I'd have to go through and update my blockpost list, as well as check my blacklists/whitelists to see if anything made it there that it shouldn't have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.