Firewall that blocks DoS attacks?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by nomarjr3, Oct 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nomarjr3

nomarjr3 Registered Member

I am using a USB 3G Modem for internet connectivity, and after a few weeks of use, sometimes it cannot receive packets, especially on peak hours.

I believe something/someone is using DoS/DDoS attack on my bandwidth.

Is there a software firewall that can prevent/block DoS and DDoS attacks?

BTW, I plug the modem on my new netbook, which only runs Windows Firewall and AntiVir.

2. JuanP1000

JuanP1000 Registered Member

It is unlikely that your home computer is targeted of a DoS or DDoS, this types of attacks try to bring down servers by flooding service ports.

Do you use a static or dynamic IP?? a dynamic IP is harder to target by the attacker as it changes.

A firewall could help if the attack is a DoS and you know the attacking IP, then you just have to block it with your firewall.

If the attack is a DDoS, a firewall is almost useless..then Deep Packet Inspection and Filtering is needed...but only if you run a high traffic website.

There is no way to prevent a DoS or DDoS just to mitigate.

My advice is that you check your outbound connections, because is more likely that your computer is infected and be a Zombie on a Bot Network.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.