Firewall set up question

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by sethm1, May 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sethm1

sethm1 Registered Member

Last nite I installed Nod 32 Smart Sec on my daughter's PC.
    I chose the setting that keeps the files/folders on her PC not shareable.

On our home router (a Belkin) I have clock setting so that the internet is not accessible from midnite to 6am. Will the Nod firewall block that setting? or does the hardware firewall (Belkin) and router superceed the software firewall (Nod 32)?

Also, after the set up of Nod 32 I noticed the Microsoft Firewall was turned off.
    I turned it back on. OR should it now be disabled?

2. alphadog

alphadog Registered Member

Presumably, your Belkin home router has its own internal clock, or syncs itself from the Internet. It probably allows/disallows connections based on the internal clock. This scheduling will not be affected by any settings on any firewall on any home computer.

Smart Security will usually disable the Windows Firewall. (Sometimes it seems to not fully disable it, but it certainly will try). You can have them both on, but a) it isn't necessary to keep the Windows one, b) it will cost extra resources to run two firewalls, and c) figuring out what's happening when some networking application isn't behaving properly becomes more complicated...

3. sethm1

sethm1 Registered Member

Thanks,
    Will turn off the M/S firewall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.