firewall rules help

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by iceni60, Nov 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i just set up my Ubuntu firewall. could you tell me if you think these rules look OK, i wish they gave the icmp numbers instead of things like pong lol i'm trying to stop inbound icmp 8. does this look secure to you? thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2005
  2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Well, assuming they're talking about incoming, then it looks alright. You have Ping unchecked, and that's ICMP type 8, so you're not allowing it. Again, I am assuming they mean inbound. Not sure if you can Ping others outbound. But that would be my guess on things too.

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, i just went to Shields Up and with these settings i passed. when i changed ping and pong around i failed, saying i responded to pings. so i think it's correct. thanks for the help :) if anyone sees something i should change can you let me know? thanks.

thanks, CrazyM for editing the picture, i had alook in Gimp but didn't know what to do.

4. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

So it does not allow configuration for separate inbound and outbound ICMP rules?

Regards,

CrazyM

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

only for ping and pong lol by the look of things. i was thinking of getting something else as this is a frontend for iptables, but i find it difficult to in/uninstall programs so i'll leave it for abit.

6. Hyperion

Hyperion Registered Member

I ve only small experience with Linux,but Firestarter is the best GUI for Iptables i found.Tried Guarddog too,but didn't like it much.So,unless you can configure Iptables directly,i think you should stick to Firestarter.It's easy and works.

7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i'd like a frontend. i just found this - Gtk-IPTables it looks perfect.
    http://gtk-iptables.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html
    http://gtk-iptables.sourceforge.net/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.