firewall/router for small business

Discussion in 'hardware' started by runnyeggsham, Apr 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. runnyeggsham

runnyeggsham Registered Member

Hi everyone. I have a simple home wifi network set up at home. My brother wants me to help him set up a network for his office of 4 ppl. They are just going to have 1 DSL line, 3 computers, 1 laptop, and 2 printers.

He wants good security. I was going to hook up a 8 port switch for his computers and printers. I was going to hook up an access point for the laptop since it will be on wifi. Should I get a hardware firewall or router to go in between the modem and the switch? Any recommendations?

All I know is that I wanted to get a 8 port trendnet switch.

2. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

What kind of budget is he on? What level of security is he trying to achieve or in other words how sensitive is the data he needs to keep secure? Also what speed is his DSL connection?

3. runnyeggsham

runnyeggsham Registered Member

Hmm, I am not sure how fast his DSL connection is. He would like it to be pretty secure of course. He is mainly using a software package that is online for him and his employees. Forgot what it was called but basically everything is done server side. All his computers will be glorified web browsers, and like I said, it's only a 4 person office, him included. A friend of mine just suggested a good router, a 8 port switch, and maybe an access point to provide wifi for 1 laptop/ipad.

4. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Grab some old machine and stick m0n0wall or whatever similar router/FW BSD/Linux distro on it. More than enough. Heck, the firewall/router provided by your ISP should be enough as well. There are no ADSL "modems" these days (last ones I have seen have been the junky USB ones) - all these boxes with LAN ports are routers with their own firewall.

5. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

6. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Yes, you should get a router, and because this is a business, preferably a better router. One with SPI. Some come with firewall software support and that is fine, but each computer should still have a client based firewall, and of course, a good anti-malware solution. Note that most "free" security programs are not free when used in commercial settings. However, Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) can be used by small businesses (up to 10 computers).

Understand that almost all routers have a 4 or 8-port Ethernet switch integrated on the same circuit board and shoved in the same box. And a "wireless router" - though technically not a "wireless" router, includes a WAP - wireless access point - also integrated, though still discrete network "appliances", into the same box.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.